[globaloutlookDH-l] When citing emails, do people silently correct typos?

Daniel O'Donnell daniel.odonnell at uleth.ca
Mon Feb 3 18:47:54 MST 2014

Hi Ernesto,

I think this actually exactly illustrates my point.

I believe you would be an "unaware subject," or at the very least, that
I would be doing observational or experimental work that required ethics
approval and/or explicit permission to quote this email, if I decided to
write "an academic paper about writing in English"... /especially/ if
your material was being quoted as an "exhibit" of any type of mistake.
In my typology, this is because you are not contributing to this list in
order to provide researchers with examples of non-native speaker
academic English.

However, I don't believe that you would be an "unaware subject" (or any
kind of subject), but rather a coinvestigator, if I wanted to quote this
email in a discussion of the ethics of quoting email because I wanted to
engage with your point that "'public' and 'private' are not clear-cut
categories. There's room for complexity and exceptions." In this second
case, I'd have said that quotation in that kind of context is an
obviously foreseeable result and, indeed, that your email itself quotes
others on the same topic for the same reasons.

Barbara's point that it is good manners to check what I should do about
any typos is obviously relevant. But, just to make things really
complicated, let's say I contacted you to ask what I should do about the
typos and you said I couldn't quote it at all. I'm afraid at that point
I might not honour your request, especially since this email is part of
a larger public conversation (and hence part of the public record).
Otherwise, allowing you to selectively censor a public discussion could
lead to all sorts of distortions later on in the account. History would
come to an end if we gave the author of all records a veto on their use.
Presumably in that case, the proper thing to do would cite your
objection to the citation and provide an explanation as to why it is
being reproduced: "Priego has indicated that this email does not
adequately or fully represent his true position. It is being cited here
because its formulation was extensively quoted in the subsequent
discussion and shaped the subsequent debate."

Anyway, you mentioned elsewhere that it might make sense to put in an
explicit notice that this is a public, citable list. I'm good with that
if others are. We have a list at the University here that is used in
large part as a forum for commenting on the actions of the
administration. Since it is unmoderated but the possibility exists that
people might post things that are libelous, every message begins with
the header "This is a publicly archived unmoderated list. Authors are
solely responsible for the content of their postings."

In this case a less scary thing might be: "Globaloutlookdh-l is a
publicly archived academic listserv intended for discussion of issues
regarding the global practice of Digital Humanities. Citations should be
based on the archived text."

-dan