[globaloutlookDH-l] When citing emails, do people silently correct typos?

Daniel O'Donnell daniel.odonnell at uleth.ca
Mon Feb 3 18:55:48 MST 2014

Hi Suzanna,

Actually I should have said the article is simply about administrative
issues involved in working in DH in a global context and that the emails
in question are in a section where we discuss what various people have
said about how language issues ought to be handled in DH. Most of these
arguments have been made in emails to humanist or here, though we also
mention some blogs. So the quotations are not ethnographic (i.e.
observational), but actually an engagement with the theoretical
positions taken by the authors on exactly the topic they were writing
about in the original discussion. That's probably why I see them as
essentially grey literature.

I need to check if I'm allowed to post a draft of the article at this
stage in the publication process. And I think in this specific case a
lot of the discussion will be moot, since I while I am not sure about
the "unaware subject" part of things in my specific case, I'm certainly
convinced by this that the polite approach at the very least is to ask
the authors to what extent they would like me to correct typos.

-dan