[globaloutlookDH-l] DH Awards

igalina igalina at unam.mx
Mon Feb 3 19:47:52 MST 2014

Dear All,
This email goes out as a result of reading Domenico's remarks about the writing of DH history but I thought it would be best to start a new thread as I would like to hear other people's opinion about something specific regarding the DH Awards.
I would like to say first that I really like the DH Awards and I think it is a great idea. I promoted the nominations through the RedHD. I was very surprised however to find when the nominations came out that all DH projects that are not in English are grouped under one category (Best DH contribution not in the English language) whilst English DH projects are divided under five different, separate categories.
Reading the About section of the DH awards I see absolutely no practical or specific reason why this is done. The section reads:
"Digital Humanities Awards are a new set of annual awards given in recognition of talent and expertise in the digital humanities community and are nominated and voted for entirely by the public. These awards are intended to help put interesting DH resources in the spotlight and engage DH users (and general public) in the work of the community. Awards are not specific to geography, language, conference, organization or field of humanities that they benefit."
So why then this distinction? A "Best DH visualization or infographic" or "Best DH project for public audiences" should be the best one regardless of what language is it. Especially if the voting is done by us. I might understand if there was a committee in charge of making the selection and they could argue that they need to understand the resource in order to vote but this is not the case.  And if it were, then should it not read "DH Awards in the English language".
However, the voting is done by the "community" and I feel that the Spanish speaking DH community, or the Russian or the Italian should be able to vote for the projects that they feel are interesting within the main categories and not in a separate, different one.
What do other people think?
Best,
Isabel

Dra. Isabel Galina Russell
Instituto de Investigaciones Bibliográficas,
Universidad Nacional Autónoma de México (UNAM)
igalina at unam.mx
@igalina