[globaloutlookDH-l] DH Awards

Marin Dacos marin.dacos at openedition.org
Mon Feb 3 22:03:07 MST 2014

Dear Isabel,
Dear all,

I share you concern. In the book http://net-lang.net/, we can see that in
2010 the web was in English for only 27% of its pages. That means that
English language is now a minority in the web. And this is a continuing
movement (the proportion of English contents in the whole web is still
going down). If English is a common and very useful language for both of
us, it is a specific language, that we use only for a small part of our
works. I am in favour of proposing a special category for English contents,
not a special category for non-English contents (which may be considered as
a ghetto).

I was also surprised to discover that Hypotheses
<http://www.hypotheses.org>was refused for inclusion in the nominee
because it was not
*created* in 2013. For those who don't know Hypotheses, here is a short
presentation :

Hypotheses is a publication platform for academic blogs. It enables
> researchers to provide real-time updates of developpements in their own
> research. Academic blogs can take numerous forms: accounts of
> archaeological excavations, current collective research or fieldwork;
> thematic research; books or periodicals reviews; newsletter etc. Hypotheses
> offers academic blogs the enhanced visibility of its humanities and social
> sciences platform. The Hypotheses team provides support and assistance to
> researchers for the technical and the editorial aspects of their project. -
> See more at:
> http://hypotheses.org/about/hypotheses-org-en#sthash.LWOdGoUI.dpuf

As a multilingual ressource, including spanish, english, german, french and
some other languages, Hypotheses is an important resource for the native
development of multilingual DH. We have yet a spanish steering committee,
which is selecting the blogs and contents here :
http://es.hypotheses.org/We have also a german speaking one, which is
today the most active
community after the French one : http://de.hypotheses.org/ The French one
is the oldest (this is explaining why they are so many french blogs in
Hypotheses) : http://fr.hypotheses.org/ We are on the process of creating
an Italian and an English speaking steering committee.

Today, here is the list of the languages used in Hypotheses :

   - Français (647)
   - English (96)
   - Deutsch (85)
   - Español (23)
   - Português (6)
   - Italiano (6)
   - العربية (1)
   - Türkçe (2)
   - 中文 (1)
   - Nederlands (1)

Our project is to be widely open to language diversity and to reflect the
diversity of our community. Our official goal is to host 1500 blogs by 2019
but if our growth continues with the same trends, then we believe that the
platform will host 1200 blogs in 2014, and 1500 in 2015! The platform is,
today, ranked second for the usage in the OpenEdition ecosystem.
OpenEdition received 3 800 000 visits (2 000 000 unique visitors) in
january 2014, including 1 145 000 visits coming from Hypotheses.

The rejection of Hypotheses as nominee for DH awards is not related to our
openness to language diversity, but to a strong focus on novelty in our
field. That means that we do not focus on structure, nor in
infrastructures. But DH should be the first community considering that
cyberinfrastructures are very important for our future, our sustainability
and our capacity of lasting (or capacity to stay?).

About this question :
* ACLS report (2006) about cyberinfrastructures :
http://www.acls.org/programs/Default.aspx?id=644
* Pierre Mounier's post about ACLS report (2007) :
http://blog.homo-numericus.net/article130.html
* My recent chapter (2013) : Cyberclio. Vers une Cyberinfrastructure au
coeur de la discipline historique
http://hal.archives-ouvertes.fr/docs/00/87/17/65/PDF/Cyberclio_Version_finale_soumise_aI_Peeters.pdf

I do not know if the "religion of novelty" is typically anglo-american
(even if I tend to personnaly believe this), but I think that we should
think and discuss about it. If we create awards that focus only
on immediacy, I fear that people who criticize DHers as fashion victims,
and think they are gadget-oriented, may have some stronger arguments to
stay out the movement.

Best regards,
Marin

On Tue, Feb 4, 2014 at 3:47 AM, igalina <igalina at unam.mx> wrote:

> Dear All,
> This email goes out as a result of reading Domenico's remarks about the
> writing of DH history but I thought it would be best to start a new thread
> as I would like to hear other people's opinion about something specific
> regarding the DH Awards.
> I would like to say first that I really like the DH Awards and I think it
> is a great idea. I promoted the nominations through the RedHD. I was very
> surprised however to find when the nominations came out that all DH
> projects that are not in English are grouped under one category (Best DH
> contribution not in the English language) whilst English DH projects are
> divided under five different, separate categories.
> Reading the About section of the DH awards I see absolutely no practical
> or specific reason why this is done. The section reads:
> "Digital Humanities Awards are a new set of annual awards given in
> recognition of talent and expertise in the digital humanities community and
> are nominated and voted for entirely by the public. These awards are
> intended to help put interesting DH resources in the spotlight and engage
> DH users (and general public) in the work of the community. Awards are not
> specific to geography, language, conference, organization or field of
> humanities that they benefit."
> So why then this distinction? A "Best DH visualization or infographic" or
> "Best DH project for public audiences" should be the best one regardless of
> what language is it. Especially if the voting is done by us. I might
> understand if there was a committee in charge of making the selection and
> they could argue that they need to understand the resource in order to vote
> but this is not the case.  And if it were, then should it not read "DH
> Awards in the English language".
> However, the voting is done by the "community" and I feel that the Spanish
> speaking DH community, or the Russian or the Italian should be able to vote
> for the projects that they feel are interesting within the main categories
> and not in a separate, different one.
> What do other people think?
> Best,
> Isabel

Marin Dacos - http://www.openedition.org
Director - Centre for Open Electronic Publishing - CNRS - EHESS -
Aix-Marseille Université (AMU) - Université d'Avignon
OpenEdition is now a Facility of
Excellence<http://www.openedition.org/10221?lang=en>
 (Equipex)

*Nouvelle adresse postale :*
OpenEdition - 38 Rue Frédéric Joliot Curie - F - 13013 Marseille Cedex 20

Tél : 04 13 55 03 40 Tél. direct : 04 13 55 03 39 Fax : 04 13 55 03 41

Skype : marin.dacos - Google hangout : marin.dacos at openedition.org
Twitter [FR] : http://twitter.com/marindacos<http://twitter.com/#%21/marindacos>
Twitter [EN] : http://twitter.com/openmarin