[globaloutlookDH-l] DH Awards

O'Donnell, Dan daniel.odonnell at uleth.ca
Mon Feb 3 22:17:16 MST 2014

I also agree with this, while sharing Isabel's admiration of the impetus behind the awards.

However, I think this is something that we may have set a model for recently with our essay competition. As I have just written, the real surprise of the essay competition (and I'd say GO::DH more generally) is the discovery that there's no reason not to say "submit in any language you want." It is simply not that hard to adjudicate multilingually. Indeed, I was amazed how easy it was. When the committee first broached the idea of just running an essay competition rather than an English essay competition, I had my doubts. In the end it took only a tiny bit of effort: we had 5/7 languages submitted already on the committee and the remaining were not hard to find.

I'd say our experience says you can run open language competitions relatively easily.