[globaloutlookDH-l] DH Awards

James Cummings James.Cummings at it.ox.ac.uk
Tue Feb 4 03:58:08 MST 2014

On 04/02/14 05:03, Marin Dacos wrote:
> I was also surprised to discover that Hypotheses
> <http://www.hypotheses.org> was refused for inclusion in the
> nominee because it was not _created_ in 2013. For those who don't
> know Hypotheses, here is a short presentation :

Hi Marin,

To give you the background on this, the committee all recognised
Hypotheses.org as an extremely important and excellent
publication platforms for academic blogs.  But we took the
decision before nominations that were announced that if we could
not find any sign of extremely major updates, publication, or
launch in 2013 that this would rule the nomination out for the
awards for that year. We couldn't find any such indication for
hypotheses.org itself and made the decision that just adding new
blogs to the site didn't really count as a major infrastructural
change. There was no malice intended in this decision, and the
number of nominations falling at this hurdle was significant.
(There were some resources which hadn't been touched since the
late 1990s nominated!) Yes, this puts a focus of the awards on a
year by year basis. This has downsides but also highlights that
DH is a continually evolving and cutting edge field.  That is
part of the awareness we wish to highlight.

> The rejection of Hypotheses as nominee for DH awards is not
> related to our openness to language diversity, but to a strong
> focus on novelty in our field. That means that we do not focus on
> structure, nor in infrastructures. But DH should be the first
> community considering that cyberinfrastructures are very
> important for our future, our sustainability and our capacity of
> lasting (or capacity to stay?).

Exactly, the rejection of hypotheses.org was only to do with
date, certainly not to do with any aspect of language diversity.
(Indeed, as I said in my reply to Isabel we are actively trying
to encourage that, in our poor stumbling ways.)

You are right that the DH Awards are focussed on novelty (though
don't judge that particularly as a criteria -- a site can be
nominated that uses quite old technology, if it was released in
that year), and I see that this has both benefits and drawbacks.
  I don't see how we could have a set of annual awards which did
not explicitly rely on the annual-ness of those awards though.
The committee wants clear and easy-to-determine reasons for
whittling down of the nominations provided since voters have a
hard enough time looking at just a few resources per category.
Other suggestions are appreciated.

Best wishes,
James
(founder of DH Awards)