[globaloutlookDH-l] DH Awards

James Cummings James.Cummings at it.ox.ac.uk
Tue Feb 4 04:06:24 MST 2014

On 04/02/14 05:17, O'Donnell, Dan wrote:
> model for recently with our essay competition. As I have just
> written, the real surprise of the essay competition (and I'd
> say GO::DH more generally) is the discovery that there's no
> reason not to say "submit in any language you want." It is
> simply not that hard to adjudicate multilingually. Indeed, I
> was amazed how easy it was.

I agree with this and think all such competitions should say
this. I've tried to highlight that with DH Awards, but evidently
need to do so even more if we run it again. For the very minimal
criteria of nominations for DH Awards ("DH?", "Category?",
"Date?") even the awful Google Translate was enough for someone
like me to ascertain that some entries were perfectly acceptable
or not.  With an international nominations committee
http://dhawards.org/dhawards2013/committee/ we have about 7 or 8
languages on the committee which helps, but would use Google
Translate or approach those we knew spoke the language of any
controversial nomination. This is a lot different from an essay
competition of course, where the person reviewing it needs much
more in-depth understanding.

> I'd say our experience says you can run open language
> competitions relatively easily.

Although I may be sounding defensive (if so I apologise), I would
definitely be interested in suggestions from GO:DH about how to
encourage even more non-English nominations. Getting the call for
nominations translated into even more languages I guess would be
the first step. Other suggestions appreciated.

Best,
-James

Dr James Cummings, James.Cummings at it.ox.ac.uk