[globaloutlookDH-l] DH Awards

Marin Dacos marin.dacos at openedition.org
Tue Feb 4 05:24:28 MST 2014

Dear James,

Nice to hear you on this list and thank you for your precise answers. I
guess that, if I had known the rule, I would have explained what was new in
Hypotheses in 2013. The main novelty in Hypotheses since 2 years (that
means before 2013) is that we have decided to be open to non french
contents. To do so, we have created specific steering committees for each
language. So far, we have opened committees for german and spanish. The
spanish speaking community is slower to join us than the german community,
mainly because did not spend enough time, energy and money to promote the
platform in Spain and latin america until now. We have plans to do so with
different partners. If spanish speaking people in the list want to join
this project, I would be very happy to discuss with you.

My main concern related to the focus on novelty is that the opening of a
new language will take more than one year to become a success. So, the
question is : should we focus on the date of the start of the project, with
a likely small success at the begining (so very little chances to win), or
after some years of promotion and development (but then with no chance to
win any award because it will be considered as an old initiative). When we
started Hypotheses, in 2008, it was a very small project, with no chance at
all to be awarded, and now it is a success, but still no chance to be
awarded. I guess that the best way would be to wait for the next major
upgrade of the platform. But it will be a bit tricky to know how big and
disruptive should be this upgrade.

This is not a complaint. I just want to share with you my questions related
to the best way to apply to DH Awards. Do you have any advices to provide?

Best regards,
Marin

--
Marin Dacos - http://www.openedition.org
Director - Centre for Open Electronic Publishing - CNRS - EHESS -

*Nouvelle adresse postale :*
OpenEdition - 38 Rue Frédéric Joliot Curie - F - 13013 Marseille Cedex 20

Tél : 04 13 55 03 40 Tél. direct : 04 13 55 03 39 Fax : 04 13 55 03 41

Skype : marin.dacos - Google hangout : marin.dacos at openedition.org
Twitter [FR] : http://twitter.com/marindacos<http://twitter.com/#%21/marindacos>
Twitter [EN] : http://twitter.com/openmarin