[globaloutlookDH-l] DH Awards

James Cummings James.Cummings at it.ox.ac.uk
Tue Feb 4 08:11:05 MST 2014

On 04/02/14 14:48, Daniel O'Donnell wrote:
> I don't think there's any need to be defensive, James. This is,
> what, the second or third year of the DHAwards? You're going to
> have kinks and the suggestions and comments I'm seeing here are
> all very constructive.

Oh yes, I am taking these as constructive comments. Definitely
need to arrange translations of call for nominations and voting
announcements and get people to circulate them. Still not sure
whether it is better to have a non-English category or not. (i.e.
which is worse). I'm thinking next year to have a clearer call
for feedback, categories, etc.

Please do feel free to translate and circulate the voting
announcement! Another 10 days to go!

> And oh yes, everybody, GO::DH is a nominee... in tools.

Yes, it was nominated under tools and we left it there. Arguably
it could have been moved to being for 'public audiences'. Its
place as a 'tool' is debatable... it is one in a metaphorical
sense certainly, or in a _very loose_ definition. You commented
on twitter that you thought we should have an 'other' category.
I've resisted that because I feel it would then become a dumping
group for miscellaneous stuff and voters would be comparing
apples and elephants. (As it is they are comparing apples and
oranges.) However, we've changed the categories each year (this
year removing one and adding the non-Eng category). I expect a
small change each year in categories.

-James

Dr James Cummings, James.Cummings at it.ox.ac.uk