[globaloutlookDH-l] Information regarding term-limits, previous service, etc.

Daniel O'Donnell daniel.odonnell at uleth.ca
Tue Feb 4 09:33:46 MST 2014

Hi all,

I was just asked a good question by a member of this year's executive:
are current executives eligible to stand for election? This is also
related to term limits (our new bylaws have term-limits on all elected
positions to ensure that there is some churn on the executive and new
perspectives are able to get in.

The bylaws treat 2014 as year 0 for GO::DH. Last year we took the risk
of setting things up and then developing bylaws as we went along, and we
were very lucky that everything went very smoothly. But since most
members of the executive were self-appointed (we asked for volunteers
and the board consisted of everybody who volunteered), we felt in
putting the bylaws together that the election of our first executive was
really going to be a new stage in the history of the project.

So this means that service in 2013 is basically ignored by the bylaws.
If you are on the executive or doing anything for GO::DH, you are
absolutely welcome (and indeed encouraged) to put your name forward for
election. If you are elected, your service in 2013 won't count against
any term limits. We're treating 2014 as if it were the first year...
which it is of GO::DH as a truly democratic organisation.