[globaloutlookDH-l] Volunteers for nomination committee sought

Daniel O'Donnell daniel.odonnell at uleth.ca
Tue Feb 4 11:09:55 MST 2014

Hi all,

In addition to candidates for the executive, we are also looking for
volunteers to assist on a nominations committee.

The function of this committee would be to help ensure we have diversity
in the candidate pool--by encouraging people who might make good
candidates but are perhaps too shy to run, for example.

We don't expect that there would be much work involved: during the
nomination period, members would consult with the returning officer and
encourage potential candidates to run. When the nomination period
closes, members of the committee would review the candidates with the
returning officer and, if there were not enough or if it was thought
that the pool was not diverse enough, solicit additional nominations to
fill out the slate. The Nominations committee s chaired by the returning
officer. This year is it Mia, who was hired for the purpose. In future
years, it would be a member of the executive who was not up for election.

Members of the nominations committee should probably not be planning to
stand for election since they might be in a conflict of interest
otherwise. An important rule at GO::DH, however, is that we are flexible
and accommodating about things like this and assume that people do their
best.

If you are interested in serving on the nominating committee, please
email Mia at nominations at globaloutlookdh.org--but be sure to indicate
that you'd like to serve on the nominating committee rather than be a
candidate for election!