[globaloutlookDH-l] DH Awards

Ernesto Priego efpriego at gmail.com
Tue Feb 4 11:19:32 MST 2014

Hello all,

I thought it would have been nice to have links to the projects in the
voting form itself. I know a Google form was used with drop-down menus and
I understand this poses a challenge in terms of hyperlinking. However I
felt as a user that at voting one would like not to have to go to the
clicking on/voting for an option. It would be nice if all votes were casted
for projects people actually knew, and not just because they sounded
interesting, you were in a hurry and you only wanted to vote for your own
project anyway ;)

I'm not sure how the importance of actually spending some time researching
the nominated projects before voting could be stressed amongst the
community, but I thought I'd share my feedback in this regard.

Labelling/categorising will always be a contentious issue. Having worked in
the translation of Textal into Spanish I wasn't happy (personally) about it
being nominated under "just for fun" (it was serious work). But hey, happy
it was nominated at all...

I'd just be up for having a pool of nominated projects (i.e. all nominated
projects would be under the same category: Nominated) and allow people to
vote whilst giving them a chance to give their reasons behind the vote.
This could provide the organisers with cool (messy, but cool, and
potentially useful) qualitative and quantiative data about voters'
preferences and rationale, and avoid the problem of pigeonholing projects
and therefore offending (even if mildly) their creators, however chuffed
they might be of having their project nominated.

All the best,

*Dr Ernesto Priego*Lecturer in Library Science
Acting Course Director, MSc/MA Electronic Publishing, City University
London

City University London offers a wide range of postgraduate courses
delivered by world-leading academics. Register for our Open
Evening<http://www.city.ac.uk/events/2014/feb/postgraduate-open-evening>on
Wednesday 19
th February to find out more.

MediaCommons' THE NEW EVERYDAY is happy to announce the publication of a
cluster on
THE MULTIMODALITY OF COMICS IN EVERYDAY LIFE,
curated by Ernesto Priego of City University London and David N. Wright of
Douglas College.
http://mediacommons.futureofthebook.org/tne/cluster/multimodality-comics-everyday-life

http://epriego.wordpress.com/  @ernestopriego<https://twitter.com/ernestopriego>
Editor-in-Chief, *The Comics Grid: Journal of Comics Scholarship *
http://www.comicsgrid.com/