[globaloutlookDH-l] DH Awards

Daniel O'Donnell daniel.odonnell at uleth.ca
Tue Feb 4 11:31:38 MST 2014

I also found the lack of hyperlinking a pain--in fact I abandoned my
vote for that reason and haven't got back to it yet.

I've been more sympathetic to the need for categories given our
experience with awards at CSDH/SCHN (the Canadian DH society). What
we've found is that categories can be necessary to defend the place of
smaller projects or more technical mundane things. Otherwise, you end up
with big, comprehensive, high profile things getting all the credit,
and, to be frank, all the credit going to the PIs (who are often the
ones who least need the awards). Certainly if you want to award things
like particularly clever coding you may need categories to ensure the
votes are spread out. The problem, of course, is that categories imply a
typology, and if the eligibility limit is a single year, your typology
can end being inadvertently exclusionary.

We should all go and vote for GO::DH, though ;-)

http://dhawards.org/dhawards2013/voting/

Still, however