[globaloutlookDH-l] DH Awards

Ernesto Priego efpriego at gmail.com
Tue Feb 4 11:37:16 MST 2014

Thanks; I also take your points re categorisation in your other message,
very well said... we were posting at the same time and it might have looked
like I was ignoring your message ;)

*Dr Ernesto Priego*Lecturer in Library Science
Acting Course Director, MSc/MA Electronic Publishing, City University
London

City University London offers a wide range of postgraduate courses
delivered by world-leading academics. Register for our Open
Evening<http://www.city.ac.uk/events/2014/feb/postgraduate-open-evening>on
Wednesday 19
th February to find out more.

MediaCommons' THE NEW EVERYDAY is happy to announce the publication of a
cluster on
THE MULTIMODALITY OF COMICS IN EVERYDAY LIFE,
curated by Ernesto Priego of City University London and David N. Wright of
Douglas College.
http://mediacommons.futureofthebook.org/tne/cluster/multimodality-comics-everyday-life

http://epriego.wordpress.com/  @ernestopriego<https://twitter.com/ernestopriego>
Editor-in-Chief, *The Comics Grid: Journal of Comics Scholarship *
http://www.comicsgrid.com/

On Tue, Feb 4, 2014 at 6:33 PM, Daniel O'Donnell
<daniel.odonnell at uleth.ca>wrote:

> [...]
>> interesting, you were in a hurry and you only wanted to vote for your own
>> project anyway ;)
>>
>>  I'm not sure how the importance of actually spending some time
>> researching the nominated projects before voting could be stressed amongst
>> the community, but I thought I'd share my feedback in this regard.
>>
>>  Labelling/categorising will always be a contentious issue. Having worked
>> in the translation of Textal into Spanish I wasn't happy (personally) about
>> it being nominated under "just for fun" (it was serious work). But hey,
>> happy it was nominated at all...
>>
>> I'd just be up for having a pool of nominated projects (i.e. all
>> nominated projects would be under the same category: Nominated) and allow
>> people to vote whilst giving them a chance to give their reasons behind the
>> vote. This could provide the organisers with cool (messy, but cool, and
>> potentially useful) qualitative and quantiative data about voters'
>> preferences and rationale, and avoid the problem of pigeonholing projects
>> and therefore offending (even if mildly) their creators, however chuffed
>> they might be of having their project nominated.
>>

>>  All the best,

>> * Dr Ernesto Priego *Lecturer in Library Science
>> Acting Course Director, MSc/MA Electronic Publishing, City University
>> London
>>
>> City University London offers a wide range of postgraduate courses
>> delivered by world-leading academics. Register for our Open Evening<http://www.city.ac.uk/events/2014/feb/postgraduate-open-evening>on Wednesday 19
>> th February to find out more.
>>
>> MediaCommons' THE NEW EVERYDAY is happy to announce the publication of a
>> cluster on
>> THE MULTIMODALITY OF COMICS IN EVERYDAY LIFE,
>> curated by Ernesto Priego of City University London and David N. Wright
>> of Douglas College.
>>
>> http://mediacommons.futureofthebook.org/tne/cluster/multimodality-comics-everyday-life
>>
>> http://epriego.wordpress.com/  @ernestopriego<https://twitter.com/ernestopriego>
>>  Editor-in-Chief, *The Comics Grid: Journal of Comics Scholarship *
>> http://www.comicsgrid.com/
>>  Subscribe to the Comics Grid Newsletter: http://eepurl.com/iOYAj
>>

>> On Tue, Feb 4, 2014 at 4:42 PM, James Cummings <
>> James.Cummings at it.ox.ac.uk> wrote:

>>>  All sound like good ideas.
>>>

>>>  Thank you, James, for taking the time to give details of the
>>>>

>>>  I'm happy to respond to any individual enquiry.  I don't email all the
>>> rejected nominations simply due to time constraints.
>>>

>>> -James
>>>
>>> --
>>> Dr James Cummings, James.Cummings at it.ox.ac.uk
>>> Academic IT Services, University of Oxford

>>> You are currently subscribed to this list in NON-digest mode. This means
>>> you receive every message as it is posted.
>>>
>>> If this represents too much traffic, you can also subscribe in DIGEST
>>> mode. This sends out a single email once a day containing the entire day's
>>> postings. To change your settings go to