[globaloutlookDH-l] CC licence? Was (Re: DH Awards)

Daniel O'Donnell daniel.odonnell at uleth.ca
Tue Feb 4 11:50:02 MST 2014

Never dawned on me you might be. Talk about the "unaware subject" ;-)

BTW, in keeping with your points on the other thread, I was thinking
more about your suggestion that we be more explicit about the open,
public, and citable nature of this list. The other alternative, of
course, is what you actually suggested: simply putting a licence in the
message header so that everybody is aware that their contributions are
distributed under a licence that permits citation and reproduction.

That's not something one does without discussion and consensus, so it
might be something that we should let the new, elected, executive deal
with when they assume office. But what about a header that said
something like: "Globaloutlookdh-l is a publicly archived listserv.
Contributions are distributed under a CC-BY licence." We could then link
to a page about licensing that had the same information and a bit more
detail in English and a few of the more widely used other languages.

A header like that would presumably clarify things with regard to what I
was calling primary use (i.e. quotation and citation that engages with
the content). I think you'd still need to handle things differently if
your goal was secondary or orthogonal to the list's purpose (e.g.
because you were studying how people interact and behave rather than
what they are saying). But it would allow our users content to be used
as a kind of grey literature.