[globaloutlookDH-l] CC licence? Was (Re: DH Awards)

Ernesto Priego efpriego at gmail.com
Tue Feb 4 12:37:25 MST 2014


Indeed, thanks. I completely agree with those suggestions. I think a brief
notice like that in
http://listserv.uleth.ca/mailman/listinfo/globaloutlookdh-l and in the
'signature' area of messages posted on the list (where "You are currently
subscribed..." etc. appears) would be useful, encourage citation and reuse
and establish the list's conception of itself as a scholarly output in its
own right.

Cheers,




*Dr Ernesto Priego*Lecturer in Library Science
Acting Course Director, MSc/MA Electronic Publishing, City University
London

City University London offers a wide range of postgraduate courses
delivered by world-leading academics. Register for our Open
Evening<http://www.city.ac.uk/events/2014/feb/postgraduate-open-evening>on
Wednesday 19
th February to find out more.

MediaCommons' THE NEW EVERYDAY is happy to announce the publication of a
cluster on
THE MULTIMODALITY OF COMICS IN EVERYDAY LIFE,
curated by Ernesto Priego of City University London and David N. Wright of
Douglas College.
http://mediacommons.futureofthebook.org/tne/cluster/multimodality-comics-everyday-life

http://epriego.wordpress.com/  @ernestopriego<https://twitter.com/ernestopriego>
Editor-in-Chief, *The Comics Grid: Journal of Comics Scholarship *
http://www.comicsgrid.com/
Subscribe to the Comics Grid Newsletter: http://eepurl.com/iOYAj




On Tue, Feb 4, 2014 at 6:50 PM, Daniel O'Donnell
<daniel.odonnell at uleth.ca>wrote:

>  Never dawned on me you might be. Talk about the "unaware subject" ;-)
>
> BTW, in keeping with your points on the other thread, I was thinking more
> about your suggestion that we be more explicit about the open, public, and
> citable nature of this list. The other alternative, of course, is what you
> actually suggested: simply putting a licence in the message header so that
> everybody is aware that their contributions are distributed under a licence
> that permits citation and reproduction.
>
> That's not something one does without discussion and consensus, so it
> might be something that we should let the new, elected, executive deal with
> when they assume office. But what about a header that said something like:
> "Globaloutlookdh-l is a publicly archived listserv. Contributions are
> distributed under a CC-BY licence." We could then link to a page about
> licensing that had the same information and a bit more detail in English
> and a few of the more widely used other languages.
>
> A header like that would presumably clarify things with regard to what I
> was calling primary use (i.e. quotation and citation that engages with the
> content). I think you'd still need to handle things differently if your
> goal was secondary or orthogonal to the list's purpose (e.g. because you
> were studying how people interact and behave rather than what they are
> saying). But it would allow our users content to be used as a kind of grey
> literature.
>
>
>
>
> On 14-02-04 11:37 AM, Ernesto Priego wrote:
>
> Thanks; I also take your points re categorisation in your other message,
> very well said... we were posting at the same time and it might have looked
> like I was ignoring your message ;)
>
>
>
>
> * Dr Ernesto Priego *Lecturer in Library Science
> Acting Course Director, MSc/MA Electronic Publishing, City University
> London
>
> City University London offers a wide range of postgraduate courses
> delivered by world-leading academics. Register for our Open Evening<http://www.city.ac.uk/events/2014/feb/postgraduate-open-evening>on Wednesday 19
> th February to find out more.
>
> MediaCommons' THE NEW EVERYDAY is happy to announce the publication of a
> cluster on
> THE MULTIMODALITY OF COMICS IN EVERYDAY LIFE,
> curated by Ernesto Priego of City University London and David N. Wright of
> Douglas College.
>
> http://mediacommons.futureofthebook.org/tne/cluster/multimodality-comics-everyday-life
>
> http://epriego.wordpress.com/  @ernestopriego<https://twitter.com/ernestopriego>
>  Editor-in-Chief, *The Comics Grid: Journal of Comics Scholarship *
> http://www.comicsgrid.com/
>  Subscribe to the Comics Grid Newsletter: http://eepurl.com/iOYAj
>
>
>
>
> On Tue, Feb 4, 2014 at 6:33 PM, Daniel O'Donnell <daniel.odonnell at uleth.ca
> > wrote:
>
>>  I agree with you!
>>
>>
>> On 14-02-04 11:32 AM, Ernesto Priego wrote:
>>
>>  Me again. Sorry!
>>
>> Another alternative would be to allow people to vote only for the ones
>> they really know and therefore want to vote for. Does anyone actually know
>> all the projects ? They are a lot... honestly I wonder how many people
>> actually clicked on all the links here
>> http://dhawards.org/dhawards2013/voting/  before voting... Something
>> tells me that having to vote for all the projects means many votes will be
>> given completely at random. Am I alone in thinking this?
>>
>>
>>
>>
>>
>>
>>
>>
>> * Dr Ernesto Priego *Lecturer in Library Science
>> Acting Course Director, MSc/MA Electronic Publishing, City University
>> London
>>
>> City University London offers a wide range of postgraduate courses
>> delivered by world-leading academics. Register for our Open Evening<http://www.city.ac.uk/events/2014/feb/postgraduate-open-evening>on Wednesday 19
>> th February to find out more.
>>
>> MediaCommons' THE NEW EVERYDAY is happy to announce the publication of a
>> cluster on
>> THE MULTIMODALITY OF COMICS IN EVERYDAY LIFE,
>> curated by Ernesto Priego of City University London and David N. Wright
>> of Douglas College.
>>
>> http://mediacommons.futureofthebook.org/tne/cluster/multimodality-comics-everyday-life
>>
>> http://epriego.wordpress.com/  @ernestopriego<https://twitter.com/ernestopriego>
>>  Editor-in-Chief, *The Comics Grid: Journal of Comics Scholarship *
>> http://www.comicsgrid.com/
>>  Subscribe to the Comics Grid Newsletter: http://eepurl.com/iOYAj
>>
>>
>>
>>
>> On Tue, Feb 4, 2014 at 6:19 PM, Ernesto Priego <efpriego at gmail.com>wrote:
>>
>>>    Hello all,
>>>
>>>  I thought it would have been nice to have links to the projects in the
>>> voting form itself. I know a Google form was used with drop-down menus and
>>> I understand this poses a challenge in terms of hyperlinking. However I
>>> felt as a user that at voting one would like not to have to go to the
>>> previous page/other tab to click again on each nominated project before
>>> clicking on/voting for an option. It would be nice if all votes were casted
>>> for projects people actually knew, and not just because they sounded
>>> interesting, you were in a hurry and you only wanted to vote for your own
>>> project anyway ;)
>>>
>>>  I'm not sure how the importance of actually spending some time
>>> researching the nominated projects before voting could be stressed amongst
>>> the community, but I thought I'd share my feedback in this regard.
>>>
>>>  Labelling/categorising will always be a contentious issue. Having
>>> worked in the translation of Textal into Spanish I wasn't happy
>>> (personally) about it being nominated under "just for fun" (it was serious
>>> work). But hey, happy it was nominated at all...
>>>
>>> I'd just be up for having a pool of nominated projects (i.e. all
>>> nominated projects would be under the same category: Nominated) and allow
>>> people to vote whilst giving them a chance to give their reasons behind the
>>> vote. This could provide the organisers with cool (messy, but cool, and
>>> potentially useful) qualitative and quantiative data about voters'
>>> preferences and rationale, and avoid the problem of pigeonholing projects
>>> and therefore offending (even if mildly) their creators, however chuffed
>>> they might be of having their project nominated.
>>>
>>>
>>>
>>>  All the best,
>>>
>>>  e
>>>
>>>
>>>
>>>
>>> * Dr Ernesto Priego *Lecturer in Library Science
>>> Acting Course Director, MSc/MA Electronic Publishing, City University
>>> London
>>>
>>> City University London offers a wide range of postgraduate courses
>>> delivered by world-leading academics. Register for our Open Evening<http://www.city.ac.uk/events/2014/feb/postgraduate-open-evening>on Wednesday 19
>>> th February to find out more.
>>>
>>> MediaCommons' THE NEW EVERYDAY is happy to announce the publication of a
>>> cluster on
>>> THE MULTIMODALITY OF COMICS IN EVERYDAY LIFE,
>>> curated by Ernesto Priego of City University London and David N. Wright
>>> of Douglas College.
>>>
>>> http://mediacommons.futureofthebook.org/tne/cluster/multimodality-comics-everyday-life
>>>
>>> http://epriego.wordpress.com/  @ernestopriego<https://twitter.com/ernestopriego>
>>>  Editor-in-Chief, *The Comics Grid: Journal of Comics Scholarship *
>>> http://www.comicsgrid.com/
>>>  Subscribe to the Comics Grid Newsletter: http://eepurl.com/iOYAj
>>>
>>>
>>>
>>>
>>> On Tue, Feb 4, 2014 at 4:42 PM, James Cummings <
>>> James.Cummings at it.ox.ac.uk> wrote:
>>>
>>>> On 04/02/14 16:39, Bordalejo, Barbara wrote:
>>>>
>>>>> Isabel hits the target here. I was also puzzled by the
>>>>> non-English. So much so, that I thought of The Artist: only a
>>>>> foreign silent film can be nominated for best picture. As
>>>>> always, I am aware that there is no deliberate attempt to
>>>>> exclude and also, as always, I know that this is not
>>>>> necessary.  The question is what can be done about it. My
>>>>> suggestion would be to eliminate the non-English category and
>>>>> to make a conscious effort to widen the spectrum of
>>>>> submissions. Providing clear guidelines of what the committee
>>>>> is looking for (up to date sites, new developments, classics)
>>>>> is absolutely necessary.
>>>>>
>>>>
>>>>  All sound like good ideas.
>>>>
>>>>
>>>>  Thank you, James, for taking the time to give details of the
>>>>> fate of some submissions. It helps to know what happened.
>>>>>
>>>>
>>>>  I'm happy to respond to any individual enquiry.  I don't email all the
>>>> rejected nominations simply due to time constraints.
>>>>
>>>>
>>>> -James
>>>>
>>>> --
>>>> Dr James Cummings, James.Cummings at it.ox.ac.uk
>>>> Academic IT Services, University of Oxford
>>>>
>>>>   _______________________________________________
>>>> globaloutlookdh-l mailing list
>>>> globaloutlookdh-l at uleth.ca
>>>> http://listserv.uleth.ca/mailman/listinfo/globaloutlookdh-l
>>>>
>>>> You are currently subscribed to this list in NON-digest mode. This
>>>> means you receive every message as it is posted.
>>>>
>>>> If this represents too much traffic, you can also subscribe in DIGEST
>>>> mode. This sends out a single email once a day containing the entire day's
>>>> postings. To change your settings go to
>>>> http://listserv.uleth.ca/mailman/options/globaloutlookdh-l You can
>>>> request a password reminder from this page if you have forgotten yours.
>>>>
>>>
>>>
>>
>>
>> _______________________________________________
>> globaloutlookdh-l mailing listglobaloutlookdh-l at uleth.cahttp://listserv.uleth.ca/mailman/listinfo/globaloutlookdh-l
>>
>> You are currently subscribed to this list in NON-digest mode. This means you receive every message as it is posted.
>>
>> If this represents too much traffic, you can also subscribe in DIGEST mode. This sends out a single email once a day containing the entire day's postings. To change your settings go to http://listserv.uleth.ca/mailman/options/globaloutlookdh-l You can request a password reminder from this page if you have forgotten yours.
>>
>>
>>   --
>> ---
>> Daniel Paul O'Donnell
>> Professor of English
>> University of Lethbridge
>> Lethbridge AB T1K 3M4
>> Canada
>> +1 403 393-2539
>>
>>
>> _______________________________________________
>> globaloutlookdh-l mailing list
>> globaloutlookdh-l at uleth.ca
>> http://listserv.uleth.ca/mailman/listinfo/globaloutlookdh-l
>>
>> You are currently subscribed to this list in NON-digest mode. This means
>> you receive every message as it is posted.
>>
>> If this represents too much traffic, you can also subscribe in DIGEST
>> mode. This sends out a single email once a day containing the entire day's
>> postings. To change your settings go to
>> http://listserv.uleth.ca/mailman/options/globaloutlookdh-l You can
>> request a password reminder from this page if you have forgotten yours.
>>
>>
>
> --
> ---
> Daniel Paul O'Donnell
> Professor of English
> University of Lethbridge
> Lethbridge AB T1K 3M4
> Canada
> +1 403 393-2539
>
>
-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
URL: <http://listserv.uleth.ca/pipermail/globaloutlookdh-l/attachments/20140204/587deb65/attachment.html>


More information about the globaloutlookdh-l mailing list