[globaloutlookDH-l] DH Awards

James Cummings James.Cummings at it.ox.ac.uk
Tue Feb 4 14:40:25 MST 2014

On 04/02/14 18:32, Ernesto Priego wrote:
> Me again. Sorry!
>
> Another alternative would be to allow people to vote only for the
> ones they really know and therefore want to vote for. Does anyone
> actually know all the projects ? They are a lot... honestly I
> wonder how many people actually clicked on all the links here
> http://dhawards.org/dhawards2013/voting/  before voting...
> Something tells me that having to vote for all the projects means
> many votes will be given completely at random. Am I alone in
> thinking this?

I'm sorry you find the lack of links on the actual voting form so
problematic. I could re-examine this I suppose but the point is
you are meant to decide on who you are voting for before going to
the form.

I don't know where you get the idea that you need to vote for all
categories...while of course I would encourage that, it is not a
requirement.  The *only* required fields are name and email
address (which I use only to track those who seem to think
scripting voting is a good idea).

You seem to be missing the point though. The DH Awards are not
primarily about getting some accurate measure of the 'best' in
any of these categories. To do that would necessitate having
individuals vote who actually could assess these properly and
make informed decisions. Since it is open voting, I agree that
this is unlikely. The main point of the DH Awards is one of
awareness. Even if people only look at a very few of the
resources, or even just see their names in the categories, then
there is some benefit.  If good resources happen to win in their
categories, then that is also good. I've already seen this
working by having people tell me that they had never heard of
project X Y or Z until they had seen them in the list.

-James

Dr James Cummings, James.Cummings at it.ox.ac.uk