[globaloutlookDH-l] New Vacancy: Assistant Professor, French Applied Linguistics or Francophone studies, University of Lethbridge (Deadline March 17, 2014)

Daniel O'Donnell daniel.odonnell at uleth.ca
Tue Feb 4 19:10:15 MST 2014

Hi all,

An entry-level job that might be of interest to members of this list,
deadline for applications March 17, 2014.

I have spoken to the chair and am told that an interest in DH and/or la
francophonie would be welcome (i.e. two potential interests of people on
this list). The core requirements are skill/experience in teaching
second language learners, especially at the junior level, and
demonstrable interest in and ability to teach French Phonology/Phonetics.

Canadian residents must be given preference according to the law, though
international candidates will be considered. The ad says that "there
will be internal candidates for the position," but I have just spoken to
the chair and she tells me that that language was inserted by mistake by
Human Resources after proofing and will be removed ASAP (the ad just
went up at the end of the business day). She assures me that this is
very much an open search and that all qualified applicants, including
international candidates, will be considered seriously.

For my own part, let me add that candidates with a background in DH will
find the University of Lethbridge to be very active in the field. We are
in the process of approving research centres in the Digital Arts and
Humanities and Digital Scholarly Communication and the University of
Lethbridge is host to both Digital Medievalist and GlobaloutlookDH.org.
I would certainly look forward to working with a successful candidate
with Digital Humanities experience, though I have no influence on the
search.

-dan

------------------

The Department of Modern Languages at the University of Lethbridge
invites applications for a tenure-track appointment in French at the
rank of Assistant Professor, to begin 1 July 2014, subject to budgetary
approval.

  The successful candidate will have a PhD in French, Linguistics or
relevant field with a specialization in either French linguistics or
francophone studies, and a proven ability to teach French phonetics and
phonology. A secondary specialization in French as a second language and
expertise in educational technology are assets. Responsibilities include
teaching intermediate French phonetics/phonology, French language and
culture courses at all levels, as well as upper-level courses in the
field of expertise. We seek an individual with native or near-native
fluency in French and excellent command of English, with an excellent
teaching record and evidence of scholarly potential.

  The Department of Modern Languages is a collegial and dynamic unit
comprising French, Japanese, Linguistics and Spanish.

Located in southern Alberta, near the Rocky Mountains, Lethbridge offers
a sunny, dry climate that is agreeably mild for the prairies, excellent
cultural and recreational amenities, and attractive economic conditions.
Founded in 1967, the University has an enrollment of over 8,000 students
from around the world. Our student body has grown by 50 percent in the
last 10 years, phenomenal growth among institutions in Canada. Despite
this growth, we have remained true to who we are - student-focused,
research-intensive, and grounded in liberal education.

For more information about the University please visit our website at
http://www.uleth.ca.

  The successful applicant will have teaching responsibilities mainly at
the undergraduate level. The University aspires to hire individuals who
have demonstrated considerable potential for excellence in teaching,
research and scholarship. New faculty members are eligible to apply for
university funding in support of research and scholarly activities.

  The position is open to all qualified applicants, although preference
will be given to Canadian citizens and permanent residents of Canada.
There will be internal candidates for this position. The University is
an inclusive and equitable campus encouraging applications from
qualified women and men including persons with disabilities, members of
visible minorities and Aboriginal persons.

  Applications should include a curriculum vitae, a letter of
application including statements of teaching and research interests, and
names and contact information for at least three referees. Send this
material and arrange for three letters of reference to be sent directly
to Dr. Inge Genee, Chair, Department of Modern Languages, The University
of Lethbridge, 4401 University Drive, Lethbridge, Alberta, Canada, T1K
3M4. Phone: (403) 380-1809, Fax: (403) 329-5187, Email: inge.genee at uleth.ca

http://www.uleth.ca <http://www.uleth.ca/>.

inge.genee at uleth.ca <mailto:inge.genee at uleth.ca>

- See more at: http://www.uleth.ca/hr/jobs/french#sthash.POeZn7zz.dpuf