[globaloutlookDH-l] CC licence? Was (Re: DH Awards)

Ernesto Priego efpriego at gmail.com
Wed Feb 5 02:15:12 MST 2014

Snowden keeps being mentioned in relation to this, but the comparison is
like apples and oranges. As a researcher I cannot but comment that  there
are degrees of access and surveilance. What the Snowden affair revealed is
that the NSA had access to was emails' and mobile communcations' *metadata*
(who emails when where and how to whom where when) not its contents (the
WHAT). When we talk about citing emails we talk about citing the content of
emails, not just their metadata.

So yes, taken to the ultimate circumstances we are all being watched by
everyone and anything can happen. That does not mean we cannot have
standards and documentation that clearly state how we are doing things and
what people can expect. Same goes for research ethics: the world is mostly
a place where ethics are not respected. This does not mean we cannot try to
establish some open, respectful, transparent framework for interaction.
Everyone can potentially engage in online piracy, but this does not mean
that using open licenses is useless or naive.

And now I'll keep my mouth shut about this whole thing!

Cheers!

*Dr Ernesto Priego*Lecturer in Library Science
Acting Course Director, MSc/MA Electronic Publishing, City University
London

City University London offers a wide range of postgraduate courses
delivered by world-leading academics. Register for our Open
Evening<http://www.city.ac.uk/events/2014/feb/postgraduate-open-evening>on
Wednesday 19
th February to find out more.

MediaCommons' THE NEW EVERYDAY is happy to announce the publication of a
cluster on
THE MULTIMODALITY OF COMICS IN EVERYDAY LIFE,
curated by Ernesto Priego of City University London and David N. Wright of
Douglas College.
http://mediacommons.futureofthebook.org/tne/cluster/multimodality-comics-everyday-life

http://epriego.wordpress.com/  @ernestopriego<https://twitter.com/ernestopriego>
Editor-in-Chief, *The Comics Grid: Journal of Comics Scholarship *
http://www.comicsgrid.com/