[globaloutlookDH-l] DH Awards

James Cummings James.Cummings at it.ox.ac.uk
Wed Feb 5 10:17:20 MST 2014

On 05/02/14 16:52, Daniel O'Donnell wrote:
> I put GO::DH in tools because I really missed an "other"
> category, so I wouldn't complain beyond saying there should be an
> other category

Whereas I would have just not nominated it because it didn't
really fit any of the categories.  I don't think the categories
*should* be all encompassing of DH. Partly because that is
impossible, partly because voters would have even more choices,
and partly because it would need an 'other' category which would
then just become a repository for highly heterogeneous materials.
  So voting in that category would be comparing apples and
elephants, rather than just the apples and oranges that are
compared in the current categories.

> (and that would be a mild complaint: having been
> on the receiving end of complaints before, let me emphasise that
> I think DHAwards is a great achievement, creating value out of
> nothing on a budget of close to or exactly 0).

For those interested the technical setup, dhawards.org is a
mirror of a similarly named sub-domain on my dreamhost.com
fully-hosted personal domain. It just mirrors the sub-domain DNS
and so it appears at that address but is hosted at the subdomain.
Thus the only 'cost' is the domain name registration as part of
my dreamhost account. If one was to cost the time... well you
don't want to know. I would estimate that any individual member
of the nominations committee who actively contributes to the
debates and reviewing of the nominations, and advertises it, is
probably donating a couple full days of work overall. As the one
creating the spreadsheets, anonymising the nominations, setting
up the site, forms, prodding the committee, emailing nominated
resources, answering feedback, cleansing and tallying votes, etc.
  I probably spend about 1-2 weeks worth of time.  I should
probably come up with a slightly better system for display and
review of the nominated resources -- currently people mark their
votes/notes in a google spreadsheet. (suggestions appreciated.)

> It didn't seem
> like it was for fun, or that it was not-in-English, or that it
> was a mobilisation effort (i.e. public-facing). I figured in an
> imperfect world, a Community of Practice is sort of a tool if no
> better category exists. It fit the narrative definition, anyway.

I could see an argument for Public Audiences (erm, but not
_really_ by the definition). But again, we decided to err on the
side of including it. But yes, if we had a 'Community of
Practice' category this coming year, then it would miss out...not
having been created in that year. (As others have argued here.)

> And all the members of this list can vote for it and we will be
> the one tool to rule them all. Mwah hah hah!

Perhaps. I probably shouldn't note this (since it is probably
unfair on the others in that category) but you are currently the
second runner-up.  But that people have seen it, voted for it,
learned about it, is hopefully the real benefit. But also I've
not gone through a removed duplicate voters yet, so someone who
votes for you under lots of different accounts or the same
account many times may lower your score. ;-)

-James

Dr James Cummings, James.Cummings at it.ox.ac.uk