[globaloutlookDH-l] Internet research and ethics

Daniel O'Donnell daniel.odonnell at uleth.ca
Thu Feb 6 08:49:56 MST 2014

Their ethics PDF is really useful: http://www.aoir.org/reports/ethics2.pdf

I was very interested to see how it captures all of the issues we were
raising (on both sides of the question, I might add).

Although I've decided as a result of our discussion to contact the
authors of the emails to explain the context and ask them about typos, I
think on my reading that my actual intended use seems to be pretty
clearly ethical, and, indeed, not actually "Internet research" in the
sense of a meta study or something that uses the content in a way it was
not intended to be used (i.e. as part of a debate about the issues they
raise as part of their content rather than through the act of posting.

Thanks very much again Suzana, this is extremely useful. Not only here,
but also at a journal I edit where the question of human subjects came
up simultaneously with our discussion in a completely different context.