[globaloutlookDH-l] DH Awards Suggestion

James Cummings James.Cummings at it.ox.ac.uk
Fri Feb 7 04:17:32 MST 2014

Hi GO::DH,

Me again! Sorry. After summarising the suggestions received here
I received a suggestion through other means that I'd like to run
by you since it does feed into the desire to encourage non-anglo
DH resources to nominate themselves for DH Awards.

As you'll remember some didn't like the annual nature of the
awards without a catch-all category of 'other' and some didn't
like the non-English category because of a perceived
ghettoisation of non-English resources. I resisted the 'other'
category for two reasons (1: a *large* category for admin and
voters; 2: difficulty of comparison for voters).

The suggestion was made to me that there be an 'Other' category
for anything that didn't fit into the other categories, but that
nominations in this category be restricted to non-English
resources (that didn't fit into any of the other categories and
the nominations committee try to move things nominated here to
other categories if suitable). The idea behind this suggestion, I
believe, is that English resources don't get the benefit of the
'other' category and miss out as previously described, but
non-English resources do not. This would be a form of so-called
'positive discrimination' based on the assumption that anglo
resources have more than enough innate privileges.

For my part, I found the idea clever but I worry about any form
of discrimination (positive or not), and also couldn't think of a
way to name it which didn't seem to repeat the perceived
ghettoisation that people have seen in this year's category.
While I don't think anglo-created resources would suffer unduly
because of this, it still seems a bit unfair.

-James

Dr James Cummings, James.Cummings at it.ox.ac.uk