[globaloutlookDH-l] DH Awards Suggestion

Alex Gil colibri.alex at gmail.com
Fri Feb 7 05:21:26 MST 2014

Hi all,

Sorry for not jumping in earlier. I've been ill and slower than usual.

James, creating a category for Other that only has Non-English entries is
NOT-A-Good-Idea. Take a moment to think about this equation,
Other=Non-English, then think about the subjectivities following on the
heels of Edward Said's
Orientalism<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Orientalism_(book)>.
I know this is difficult, but you are moving in the right direction! I
salute your effort to create a space for 'positive discrimination,' or
affirmative action as the USeans call it.

Since the awards would lose what makes them unique unless voting was 100%
volunteer, may I suggest simply continuing the work of advocacy and
encouragement behind the scenes. Just do not make any distinction in the
categories. Use the other category as Dan suggests, to make sure the
community surprises us. We will help you here at GO:DH to reach larger
audiences whose main vehicle of digital expression is not English.

Let me be clear. If you make sure to advocate for a kaleidoscopic and
babylonian ecosystem of digital humanities, and show awareness that English
models on offer are NOT universal or representative of the rest of us, I'll
be on your side if you receive any ill will.

Your great admirer,
Alex.