[globaloutlookDH-l] DH Awards Suggestion

Marin Dacos marin.dacos at openedition.org
Sun Feb 9 07:20:14 MST 2014

To my mind, the best way to open DH Awards to non English contents, without
creating a ghetto with a specific entry, is to translate the call and the
categories in 4-5 languages.
By principle, I refuse to use any negative denominations like "non
English". I am always disturbed by the "non-fiction" category, in English,
which is very weak and negative.
Best regards,
Marin

On Fri, Feb 7, 2014 at 2:12 PM, James Cummings
<James.Cummings at it.ox.ac.uk>wrote:

> Hi Alex and Ernesto,
>
> Thanks! That was my precisely my thought (especially that it would relate
> 'Other' with 'Non-English' which seemed a really really dangerous idea).
>
> I'll thank the person for the idea but explain how it may be construed as
> even more divisive and problematic.
>
> Thanks for your thoughts!
>
> -James
>

> On 07/02/14 13:09, Ernesto Priego wrote:
>
>> Ditto to what Alex has just shared. Ditto.
>>
>> Best regards,

>> *
>> *
>> *
>> Dr Ernesto Priego
>> *Lecturer in Library Science
>>
>> Acting Course Director, MSc/MA Electronic Publishing, City
>> University London *
>> *
>>
>> City University London offers a wide range of postgraduate
>> courses delivered by world-leading academics. Register for our
>> Open Evening
>> <http://www.city.ac.uk/events/2014/feb/postgraduate-open-evening>
>> on Wednesday 19^th February to find out more.
>>

>> MediaCommons' THE NEW EVERYDAY is happy to announce the
>> publication of a cluster on
>> THE MULTIMODALITY OF COMICS IN EVERYDAY LIFE,
>> curated by Ernesto Priego of City University London and David N.
>> Wright of Douglas College.
>> http://mediacommons.futureofthebook.org/tne/cluster/multimodality-comics-
>> everyday-life
>>
>> http://epriego.wordpress.com/ @ernestopriego
>> <https://twitter.com/ernestopriego>
>> Editor-in-Chief, /The Comics Grid: Journal of Comics
>> Scholarship**/http://www.comicsgrid.com/
>>
>> Subscribe to the Comics Grid Newsletter: http://eepurl.com/iOYAj
>>

>> On Fri, Feb 7, 2014 at 12:21 PM, Alex Gil <colibri.alex at gmail.com
>> <mailto:colibri.alex at gmail.com>> wrote:
>>
>>     Hi all,
>>
>>     Sorry for not jumping in earlier. I've been ill and slower
>>     than usual.
>>
>>     James, creating a category for Other that only has
>>     Non-English entries is NOT-A-Good-Idea. Take a moment to
>>     think about this equation, Other=Non-English, then think
>>     about the subjectivities following on the heels of Edward
>>     Said's Orientalism
>>     <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Orientalism_(book)>. I know
>>
>>     this is difficult, but you are moving in the right direction!
>>     I salute your effort to create a space for 'positive
>>     discrimination,' or affirmative action as the USeans call it.
>>
>>     Since the awards would lose what makes them unique unless
>>     voting was 100% volunteer, may I suggest simply continuing
>>     the work of advocacy and encouragement behind the scenes.
>>     Just do not make any distinction in the categories. Use the
>>     other category as Dan suggests, to make sure the community
>>     surprises us. We will help you here at GO:DH to reach larger
>>     audiences whose main vehicle of digital expression is not
>>     English.
>>
>>     Let me be clear. If you make sure to advocate for a
> [...]

Marin Dacos - http://www.openedition.org
Director - Centre for Open Electronic Publishing - CNRS - EHESS -
Aix-Marseille Université (AMU) - Université d'Avignon
OpenEdition is now a Facility of
Excellence<http://www.openedition.org/10221?lang=en>
 (Equipex)

*Nouvelle adresse postale :*
OpenEdition - 38 Rue Frédéric Joliot Curie - F - 13013 Marseille Cedex 20

Tél : 04 13 55 03 40 Tél. direct : 04 13 55 03 39 Fax : 04 13 55 03 41

Skype : marin.dacos - Google hangout : marin.dacos at openedition.org
Twitter [FR] : http://twitter.com/marindacos<http://twitter.com/#%21/marindacos>
Twitter [EN] : http://twitter.com/openmarin