[globaloutlookDH-l] DH Awards Suggestion

Daniel O'Donnell daniel.odonnell at uleth.ca
Sun Feb 9 09:46:53 MST 2014

We've been pretty good at getting things out in different languages, and
have added our first, I believe, Tagalog speaker.

I'd say advertise in a number of different languages--the most common
we've had are probably English, Spanish, Simplified Chinese, French,
Italian, and I think Japanese (it is not only a function of number of
speakers in the community--which is not the same thing as world wide,
but also which communities see translation as desirable/welcoming,
etc.). We could translate into Dutch or German, for example, but the
value attached to translation among German and Dutch speakers seems to
be low. English, on the other hand, places an extremely high value on
translation.

I've been thinking more about the categories. I think the intractable
issue is going to be volunteer effort, because any typology that won't
create bottlenecks with the one year eligibility period is going to
require more effort.

Your 2013 categories are Best DH contribution not in the English
language; Best use of DH for fun; Best DH blog post, article, or short
publication; Best DH visualization or infographic; Best DH project for
public audiences.

As a typology, it is pretty good although the two weakest ones (taking
the problems with "not English" as read) are presumably "for fun" and
"for public audiences" since both of those refer to intention, while the
others refer to type (meaning entries in "fun" and "for public
audiences" might also be one of the other types).

I could see a couple of other approaches. One, really interesting
(though complex and perhaps only good in theory, might be to take
Unsworth's Primitives and ask people to nominate based on the primary
activity/focus of the project:

  * Discovering
  * Annotating
  * Comparing
  * Referring
  * Sampling
  * Illustrating
  * Representing
  * (and I'd add communicating/teaching).

That might be too abstract, however. Another list, taking the same
approach but in a slightly more concrete way, might include:

  * Publication (blogs, articles, visualisations, books)
  * Edition/facsimile (Understood more broadly as representation of
    primary source(s) (editions, 3D cultural heritage))
  * Mapping
  * Making
  * Reference/tertiary research
  * Collecting
  * Crowdsourcing
  * Advocacy and policy initiatives
  * Pedagogy
  * Meta (tools, code, and standards)

I'm not sure you'd need an "other" in this case, but it is probably
safest to have one and restrict to things that are not arguably one of
the other categories. There will be overlap among the other fields, but
you could ask people to nominate according to the primary purpose or
function.

The only way I see of making something like this manageable is to go on
a two year rotation: 5 categories a year, two year eligibility.