[globaloutlookDH-l] Reminder: Proposed Bylaws | Global Outlook::Digital Humanities

Daniel O'Donnell daniel.odonnell at uleth.ca
Wed Jan 1 16:07:34 MST 2014

Hi all,

First of all: best wishes for 2014.

Secondly: A reminder that proposed bylaws for GO::DH have been available
for comment since December 9th:
http://www.globaloutlookdh.org/proposed-bylaws/

These have been reviewed and approved by consensus by the ad hoc,
volunteer executive and the elected steering committee that established
GO::DH last year. Because GO::DH doesn't have any current bylaws
(establishing them was a goal of 2013), there is no mechanism in place
for approving them other than fiat. Our idea was to solicit public
comment and then act according to the nature of that comment. If the
comment was favorable (or in the absence of comment), our plan was to
assume that they take effect when the first officers and executive
elected under their provisions take office at the end of this month.

We had proposed a review period ending at the end of December. Because
of the holiday break, and because accommodation and flexibility are
important principles of the bylaws, We can afford an extra week for
comment. If you have any suggestions, criticisms, comments, or
endorsements that you would like to inform the adoption of these bylaws,
please say something on the list or privately before 0000, 8 January,
AoE (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anywhere_on_Earth).

Assuming there are no significant objections, we'd like to start
recruiting potential candidates for election to the first bylaw-governed
executive right away on the 8th. So please also consider allowing your
name to stand for the first official GO::DH executive!