[globaloutlookDH-l] Websites for following technology and the humanities outside of Europe, Canada, U.S.?

Daniel O'Donnell daniel.odonnell at uleth.ca
Wed Jan 1 18:31:24 MST 2014

Hi all,

I've recently started trying to expand my daily reading (and tweeting)
about education, the humanities, and technology in a more regular fashion.

Currently, most things I check on a daily or weekly basis are focussed
on Canada, the U.S., or Europe--in fact primarily the UK (NYTimes,
Guardian, Washington Post, Chronicle of Higher Education, Inside Higher
Education, Slate, Salon, the Globe and Mail, Toronto Star, National
Post, Economist).

I've recently added Scidev.net and the Times of India to my daily scan.

Does anybody have any other suggestions for useful news-sites to include
in my daily or weekly read? I'm particularly interested in places that
are good on news about higher education, technology, and the
intersection of higher education, university research, and technology
outside of Canada, the U.S., and the U.K.

I can read and/or pick my way through a number of different European
languages (Dutch, French, German, Spanish, Italian--with things getting
worse as you move from left to right). At the same time, however, since
part of my goal is to tweet these to an international audience, things
with an English version will be particularly useful. (I'm trying to
think of ways of sharing non-English language news
internationally--perhaps through a Google Translate URL?)

Any ideas or suggestions? Or criticism of the idea--I can see the
emphasis on English being an issue of self-replicating biases.