[globaloutlookDH-l] [HDH] Activismo multilingüe

Ernesto Priego efpriego at gmail.com
Tue Jul 8 09:28:21 MDT 2014

I think this is an important conversation, and I welcome both Alex and
Marin's contribution's. The main purpose of a conference (apart of all the
fun) is to communicate our research, and if others (in the conference or
out of the conference I guess) cannot follow what we are saying in my
humble bilingual opinion there is a problem.

Speaking of "activism", even the Zapatistas (speaking of activism) spoke
and wrote in Spanish, English and other languages, including various
indigenous native languages from their region.

It seems that it's a question of priorities when it comes to the expense of
professional translation. Other fields do it. Perhaps we don't need some
things that get paid for in conferences and we need others instead, like
professional live translation/interpreting.

Hence people would be able to speak their own language-- but those who
don't speak it will still be able to both appreciate the gesture and
understand what is being communicated.

PS I suppose the reference was to DH2014, not 2015 though? By the way, what
if all the Polish colleagues decide to present in Polish? How many of you
speak Polish?

With my best wishes as always

*Dr Ernesto Priego*Lecturer in Library Science
#citylis City University London
Editor-in-Chief, *The Comics Grid: Journal of Comics Scholarship *
http://www.comicsgrid.com/
http://epriego.wordpress.com/  @ernestopriego
<https://twitter.com/ernestopriego>

Taking Comics Seriously: