[globaloutlookDH-l] DH Whisperer's

Neil Fraistat nfraistat at gmail.com
Wed Jul 23 11:44:09 MDT 2014

Alex and all,

My own sense is that DH Commons would be the right platform to register
projects across the globe, since it is already performing that service well
and could easily be enhanced, and that DiRT could similarly be enhanced for
registering tools. There is an excellent chance that DH Commons and DiRT
will be sharing data with each other in the not-too-distant future.

I'm sure that the editors of these resources would be delighted to work
with GO::DH on this.

Best,
Neil

On Wed, Jul 23, 2014 at 1:28 PM, Alex Gil <colibri.alex at gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> I see two possible groups here. A revamping of the translation commons
> tackling the multilingualism question, working on the toolkit, etcera. The
> other group would be a 'directory' group, which could take on the task of
> expanding the work of #arounddh, working with the regional networks,
> individual channels, etc. to start the lofty work of creating a register of
> dh projects and teams. I don't see this work coming to fruition overnight,
> but continuing the work of DHCommons, MapaHD, DiRT and others at a global
> stage. We could start informally, building a rudimentary data system. I
> have already been working with the former on a minimal metadata standard
> for DH project data exchange. We could push the standard and then have a
> way to absorb projects coming up. That said, DHCommons might be a better
> place to build the data system, and we could simply help coordinate around
> the world.
>
> My two cents,
> a.
>

> On Wed, Jul 23, 2014 at 11:41 AM, Élika Ortega <elikaortega at gmail.com>
> wrote:
>
>> Thanks!
>>
>> Nuria, I really look forward to reading your post!
>>
>> Øyvind, yes, exactly! The most appealing aspect of all of this is
>> precisely the discovery of new scholarship--being able to listen to
>> presentations that are beyond our linguistic knowledges.
>>
>> And Dan, yes, a multilingualism/inclusivity working group is a great
>> idea. I wonder if it could be a revamping of the Translation Commons, at
>> least on the part of multilingualism.
>>
>> All the best!
>> Élika
>>

>> On Wed, Jul 23, 2014 at 11:13 AM, O'Donnell, Dan <
>> daniel.odonnell at uleth.ca> wrote:
>>
>>> If we wanted, I think I can say that Digital Studies would extremely
>>> interested in a special cluster of articles on this topic.

Neil Fraistat
Professor of English & Director
Maryland Institute for Technology in the Humanities (MITH)
0301 Hornbake Library North
University of Maryland
301-405-5896 or 301-314-7111 (fax)
http://www.mith.umd.edu/