[globaloutlookDH-l] Election results

Daniel O'Donnell daniel.odonnell at uleth.ca
Fri Mar 7 11:50:48 MST 2014

Hi all,

The nomination/returning committee (Mia Angelica Alcantara Santiago,
Ernesto Priego, and Roopika Risam) have calculated the results of the
first GO::DH election. Our first elected executive will consist of the
following people (by term and then in alphabetical order):

2-Year Term

*Maria Clara Paixão de Sousa**
**Øyvind Eide**
**Elena González-Blanco García**
**Elika Ortega**
*
1-Year Term

*Barbara Bordalejo**
**Domenico Fiormonte**
**Alex Gil**
**Daniel O'Donnell**
*
The terms were decided by stated preference and rank order (i.e. people
who said they preferred a 1 year term, were given a one year term if
they were elected; the remaining spots were filled in descending order
of votes received). We elected both a one year and two year term in this
first election to ensure that the terms are staggered going forward.
Next year, only four positions will be up for election and all vacancies
will be for 2 year positions.

I'd like to thank the nomination/returning committee for what turned out
to be harder work that we initially expected and to all the candidates
for both agreeing to stand and being so helpful as we worked out some
kinks with the voting system. There was in fact a terrific
participation: we had 20 candidates for 8 positions and about 1/3 of
GO::DH subscribers (i.e. over 100 people) voted. This is a very high
rate of participation.

Although with that number of candidates, it was inevitable that very
good people would not quite make the threshold for election, I've
emailed all privately and know that most are intended to continue to
volunteer and share their skills with us. The executive will be
responsible for the day-to-day administration, but the real work
involves what we as members do.

I'd also like to thank the outgoing executive, all of whom volunteered
last year to help us set up the organisation.

The new executive will take office as soon as we can get the mailing
list changed.