[globaloutlookDH-l] Visibility of Research: What can DH do to help?

igalina igalina at unam.mx
Tue Mar 18 13:36:26 MDT 2014

Hola Ernesto,

Hope you manage to read this in time.

You mention:

"I am sharing with you these thoughts because I am interested in what role the digital humanities can play in this context. Are DH research projects/outputs merely a subgroup of all research subject to online discoverability, or are the digital humanities a potentially key player in the development of strategies to make research visible and accessible online? Is the development of technologies and strategies to enhance the discoverability, accessibility, sustainability, preservation etc. of [particularly social sciences, arts and humanities] research?"

>From experience here in Mexico, and Latin America in general, I think that it is more likely that formal digital publishing outputs (in particular research articles) are more likely to be of interest than DH projects/outputs that tend to takes shapes and forms that decision makers and evaluators are not sure how to deal with.  In this sense DH projects/outputs can be key players in challenging notions of what academic research production can look like, but 'authorities' (can't find a better word but I mean the people that approve a project and give you funding or support) tend to like things that they recognize. So DH project/outputs have a double challenge, they are digital and they are not familiar. So online discoverability projects tend to focus on journal articles above all. Key Latin American projects such as Redalyc, Scielo, Latindex to name a few are all based on journal publishing.  In the past few years there has been an increasing interest in the publication of ebooks, which are more related to the Humanities, but again more in the formal publishing line.  DH projects/outputs still tend to be individual initiatives with little or no institutional back up and placed on personal web space or on the institutional website but in an informal manner.

Hope this is useful and looking forward to hearing your report from Kenya.

Best,

Isabel

Dra. Isabel Galina Russell
Instituto de Investigaciones Bibliográficas,
Universidad Nacional Autónoma de México (UNAM)
igalina at unam.mx
@igalina