[globaloutlookDH-l] Call For Presentations: Kickstarting the GO::DH Minimal Computing Working Group @ DH2014

John Simpson john.simpson at ualberta.ca
Mon Mar 24 14:46:01 MDT 2014

***-_-_-_-_-_-*** Please share this widely as we would like as global a representation as possible ***-_-_-_-_-_-***

The GlobalOutlook::DigitalHumanities (GO::DH) Minimal Computing Working Group is looking to kickstart itself with a workshop at this year’s DH conference in Lausanne, Switzerland.  We are looking to collect upwards of thirty presenters from the global DH community to share their current experiences with minimal computing in a lightning talk format.  This series of showcase talks will be followed by a focused collection of ideas directed at how the working group should proceed and then some initial decision making about which of these ideas to pursue and who should lead them.

THERE ARE OPPORTUNITIES TO BE INCLUDED EVEN IF YOU ARE NOT ATTENDING

The GO::DH Minimal Computer Working Group uses “minimal computing” to simultaneously capture the maintenance, refurbishing, and use of machines to do DH work out of necessity along with the use of new streamlined computing hardware like the Raspberry Pi or the Arduino micro controller to do DH work by choice.  This dichotomy of choice vs. necessity focuses the group on computing that is decidedly not high-performance and importantly not first-world desktop computing.  By operating at this intersection between choice and necessity minimal computing forces important concepts and practices within the DH community to the fore.  In this way minimal computing is also an intellectual concept, akin to environmentalism, asking for balance between gains and costs in related areas that include social justice issues and de-manufacturing and reuse, not to mention re-thinking high-income assumptions about “e-waste” and what people do with it.

Visit http://www.globaloutlookdh.org/working-groups/minimal-computing/kickstart-workshop/
 for the full call and find out how you can get involved.

***-_-_-_-_-_-*** Please share this widely as we would like as global a representation as possible ***-_-_-_-_-_-***

-John

John Simpson
Postdoctoral Fellow
INKE and Text Mining & Visualization for Literary History
University of Alberta