[globaloutlookDH-l] Monocultures of the (digital) Humanities

Alex Gil colibri.alex at gmail.com
Mon Jul 13 09:50:26 MDT 2015

Dear Domenico,

Just read your article and Crane's + the comments on Humanistica. Agreed on
SCOPUS. Self fulfilling prophecy material at the behest of business
interests.

Very related to this conversation, I've been involved in heavy duty
conversations these past few weeks on the oddly named MLMC and to a lesser
extent the PC about language diversity, and I'm happy to report that we're
making slow progress. Little by little we convince others that, and I quote
the wonderful Glenn Worthey here, "we don't need to fight for the lingua
franca." The lingua franca fights for itself. I know so many well meaning
folks from outside and inside Europe and the US who defend the lingua
franca model because they've had bad experiences with multi-lingual
conferences or journals, or because they believe in a global community and
think this is the only way to achieve one. We have to work with these folks
to get them to see that we are talking about learning how to do translation
right, and that true globality in the humanities is by definition, a new
Babel--uncomfortable, but not crippling... Little by little. Your work with
citations here is enormously helpful in this regard. Looking forward to
your full article!

a.

On Mon, Jul 13, 2015 at 11:01 AM, Domenico Fiormonte <
domenico.fiormonte at gmail.com> wrote:

> Thanks Dan and Frédéric.
>
> Scopus is to non-Anglophone Humanities like a pusher that keeps selling
> cocaine arguing that the best way to detox is an overdose.

>> Just quickly, a really interesting paper, Domenico.
>>
>> On Sun, Jul 12, 2015, 18:57 Domenico Fiormonte <
>> domenico.fiormonte at gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>>> Hi everybody,
>>>
>>> Apologies for cross-posting.
>>> I think people on this list could be interested in this reflection --
>>> with some anticipation of a forthcoming study:
>>> http://infolet.it/2015/07/12/monocultural-humanities/
>>> I started to write it as response to Gregory Crane's article ("The Big
>>> Humanities, National Identity and the Digital Humanities in Germany"), but
>>> it came out too long, so I decided to make a blog post.
>>>
>>> It would be great if a discussion here and in institutional places would
>>> produce some new proposals for changing this discouraging scenario
>>> (starting with the DH).
>>>
>>> All the best
>>>
>>> Domenico

>>> You are currently subscribed to this list in NON-digest mode. This means
>>> you receive every message as it is posted.
>>>
>>> If this represents too much traffic, you can also subscribe in DIGEST
>>> mode. This sends out a single email once a day containing the entire day's
>>> postings. To change your settings go to