[globaloutlookDH-l] Monocultures of the (digital) Humanities

Øyvind Eide lister at oeide.no
Mon Jul 20 11:28:20 MDT 2015

Dear Domenico, Alex, and all,

I think this is exactly the point. Many (all?) of us have experienced situations where multi-linguality led to ghettoisation — not the least at conferences.

If working models of real time translation can be shown — and I believe we now have the tools and ideas making that quite likely — then those experiences can be countered by different ones.

It will be extremely interesting to see what the call for papers for the first Nordic conference next year will lead to. Five countries, five currencies (of which one suspended from international trade), a population of some 25 million all together. A lot of diversity — but everybody (at least in academia) speaks and understands English. Will there be non-English papers? If so, can we make it worthwhile for international participants to attend them?

Best,

Øyvind