[globaloutlookDH-l] Website editor for GO::DH

James Cummings James.Cummings at it.ox.ac.uk
Fri Jun 12 11:08:44 MDT 2015

Hi Ernesto,

Just to note for comparison's sake what we're doing in the TEI
(which is also ADHO affiliated in various ways), is that posts
like the webmaster and social media coordinator are unpaid but
given assistance to some degree in attending the yearly
conference.  Perhaps ADHO might be willing to do something
similar for GO::DH? Where the posts were unpaid, but travel
expenses, accommodation, or registration (or some combination or
those) for the DH conference were paid depending on the
associated value of the post in question.

Just providing it as an example for comparison, but agree with
your general intent in highlighting the real work that such posts
take.

-James

On 12/06/15 17:46, Ernesto Priego wrote:
> Hello everyone,
>
> Would it be possible to investigate ways of getting funding
> for a position like this? As special interest group of the
> ADHO, is there a way some of the membership we pay can be
> redirected for positions like this?
>
> As someone who has volunteered as webeditor and social media
> community manager positions in various academic projects I am
>  very much aware these are positions that we digital humanists
>  should recognise as labour intensive and very time consuming.
> The web is the gateway to what the group does, and keep asking
>  colleagues (regardless of academic position or career stage)
> to do it on a completely voluntary basis seems unfair.
> Particularly when the membership to the ADHO is paid by
> numerous members and there seems to be budget for other
> things.
>
> I know talking about money is always awkward but seems
> necessary to say it, particularly in our field regarding web
> publishing work.
>
> As always shared with the best intentions!
>
> Warm regards,
>
> Ernesto
>
> *Dr Ernesto Priego *Lecturer in Library Science,#citylis
> <https://www.city.ac.uk/department-library-information-science/information-studies-scheme>
>  City University London Editor-in-Chief, /The Comics Grid:
> Journal of Comics Scholarship**/ <http://www.comicsgrid.com/>
> https://epriego.wordpress.com/ Subscribe to the Comics Grid
> Newsletter: http://eepurl.com/iOYAj
>
> *Upcoming Activities* 10 June*:* #citylis Postgraduate Open
> Evening
> <http://www.city.ac.uk/study/postgraduate/visit-us/postgraduate-open-events>

13 June: #citymash: Libraries and Technology Unconference

Dr James Cummings, James.Cummings at it.ox.ac.uk