[globaloutlookDH-l] [Redhd] DH organizations around the world

Alex Gil colibri.alex at gmail.com
Fri Jun 26 09:32:46 MDT 2015

Dear Domenico,

We're in perfect agreement that a federation is the long term goal here.
That's what I meant by "union." The devil will be in the (financial and
logistic) details!

Yes on south-south as a thing of beauty. I'm seeing some of that already
from my computer in NYC. Since I live in the north, though, I cannot
formally suggest what my friends in the south should or should not do at
the international level. I know that many of them benefit from and value
south-north collabs, for example.

My hope though is that we can shape venues for all orgs to work together as
peers, and personally, to make myself useful when needed. I like Roopika
Risam's take on this, which is to foster venues of collaborations were
local/regional communities decide what counts as a valuable intervention
according to their own contexts, and we come together to share our work, to
find out which collaborations are possible and to learn from one another.
This would be the alternative to a unitary (read universal) system for
vetting our programs.

The million dollar question is whether ADHO can become the place where
these things can happen, and how! A Bandung for DH would be
counter-productive and more difficult to pull off, imho. Wouldn't be my
place to help such a group happen either! So for now, I must dedicate my
working years and energy to working with one foot firmly in ADHO, and the
south-north that implies.

[answering Paul next]

All best!
a.