[globaloutlookDH-l] Big data, mass surveillance and DH

Domenico Fiormonte domenico.fiormonte at gmail.com
Fri Sep 23 13:58:58 MDT 2016

Dear friends,

members of this list may be interested in this reflection:

http://infolet.it/2016/09/22/big-data-terrorism-and-the-role-of-the-digital-humanities/

We believe mass surveillance conducted through the use and misuse of our
data is not only (sic) an issue of democracy and freedom, but affects
directly the Humanities as a scholarly discipline and intellectual
activity. Both levels, geopolitics of the network and identity, involve
building, accessing and manipulating cultures, memory and *knowledge*.
Which ultimately is the "core business" of humanists and social scientists.

This article is part of a series of posts we'll be publishing on Infolet.it
in the next months as a part of an ogoing book project: "The End of the
Internet". Occasionally we'll try to translate fragments or  chapters in
other languages, especially if people from the DH community will help us!

Thanks

Domenico