[globaloutlookDH-l] CFP: Global Debates in the Digital Humanities

Alex Gil colibri.alex at gmail.com
Wed Aug 9 09:28:01 MDT 2017

Dear Domenico,

I'm very happy that this project is moving forward. This is indeed a great
opportunity to highlight projects in the periphery, and generate fantastic
debates. I will help the team personally reach individuals around the world
in our networks to make sure they share with their own networks to open
opportunities for new and old voices.

That said, I am concerned about one aspect of the CFP, mainly that the cost
of the translation into the "lingua franca" is displaced unto the writers.
When we consider that some of the writers who would be excluded
traditionally from publication are precisely the ones who are less likely
to achieve translation, this becomes a fundamental structural problem. That
problem is exacerbated by the fact that the CFP is trying to be critical of
anglo-exclusion. We take with the left hand what we give with the right.

Perhaps we can discuss among ourselves and publicly in this venue what we
can do to mitigate. I think this is the best venue (perhaps the only one)
to have this conversation.

All best,
a.