[globaloutlookDH-l] CFP: Global Debates in the Digital Humanities

Ernesto Priego efpriego at gmail.com
Wed Aug 9 11:57:13 MDT 2017

Hi Alex,

I know you addressed the email to Domenico but I wanted to chip in if it's
OK. I couldn't agree more this is the best, if not the only venue to have a
discussion about this.

You raise a very important point which indeed as you say reflects
structural conditions.

>>That said, I am concerned about one aspect of the CFP, mainly that the
cost of the translation into the "lingua franca" is displaced unto the
writers.

I'd like to add some follow-up questions here if I may:

Could this restriction/condition (the onus of translation into English
being on writers requiring it) have to do with

 a) the publisher not providing this service as part of any publishing deal
with the editors and/or

b) the publisher or editors not having (nrt means of achieving) funding
that could be given to any submissions accepted that might require
translation?

Do we know of any scholarly publishers or scholarly editions in the
humanities or social sciences who have announced they will pay for
translations into English of any submissions?

If funding could be provided to offer this service to authors who require
it it would make this collection completely pioneering. Whose
responsibility would it be to source that funding, do we already know of
potential organisations who could provide that funding?

All the best,

Ernesto

Dr Ernesto Priego

@ernestopriego
https://epriego.wordpress.com/
http://www.comicsgrid.com/

The information contained in this email is confidential and may be legally
privileged. It is intended for the addressee(s) only. If you are not the
intended recipient, please delete this e-mail.
The contents of this e-mail must not be forwarded, disclosed or copied
without the sender's consent. The statements and opinions expressed in this
message are those of the author and do not necessarily reflect those of any
related organisations, projects, colleagues or employers.