[globaloutlookDH-l] CFP: Global Debates in the Digital Humanities

Marin Dacos marin.dacos at openedition.org
Wed Aug 9 13:52:49 MDT 2017

Dear all,

We know that the cost of translation is high, and it is the reason why
the project is not able to provide a translation service. This is the
cost and the risk of bibliodiversity. We should try to find specific
money for this task. Otherwise, we will exclude a lot of people.

In France, there is no translation fundings for open access publishing,
whereas there are translation fundings for business publishing. I know
only one example of success, publishing two versions of the same book,
likely with proper fundings dedicated to the task :
http://net-lang.net/lang_en

They provide the list of their funders :

- https://www.idrc.ca/EN

- http://unilat.org/

- https://www.francophonie.org/

- http://en.unesco.org/

- http://www.maaya.org/?lang=en : Maaya — the World Network for
Linguistic Diversity

I do not know the details, and they should be asked to Hervé Le Crosnier
(University of Caen) and founder of C&F Editions
http://cfeditions.com/public/

There would be an alternative by trying to crowdsource the translation.
But we need a task force for that and a strong involvment of a
community. In France, again, we have a model for that :
https://framablog.org/ They translate texts into French that the
consider important for free culture, open source, and so on. They have a
tremendous know how and they could provide feedback. But, again, they
won't provide the people to do the translation, and their skills are to
translate into French, not into English.

Best regards,
Marin

Le 09/08/2017 à 13:57, Ernesto Priego a écrit :
> Hi Alex,
>
> I know you addressed the email to Domenico but I wanted to chip in if
> it's OK. I couldn't agree more this is the best, if not the only venue
> to have a discussion about this.
>
> You raise a very important point which indeed as you say reflects
> structural conditions.
>
> >>That said, I am concerned about one aspect of the CFP, mainly that
> the cost of the translation into the "lingua franca" is displaced unto
> the writers.
>
> I'd like to add some follow-up questions here if I may:
>
> Could this restriction/condition (the onus of translation into English
> being on writers requiring it) have to do with
>
>  a) the publisher not providing this service as part of any publishing
> deal with the editors and/or
>
> b) the publisher or editors not having (nrt means of achieving)
> funding that could be given to any submissions accepted that might
> require translation?
>
> Do we know of any scholarly publishers or scholarly editions in the
> humanities or social sciences who have announced they will pay for
> translations into English of any submissions?
>
> If funding could be provided to offer this service to authors who
> require it it would make this collection completely pioneering. Whose
> responsibility would it be to source that funding, do we already know
> of potential organisations who could provide that funding?
>
> All the best,
>
> Ernesto
>
> Dr Ernesto Priego
>
> @ernestopriego
> https://epriego.wordpress.com/
> http://www.comicsgrid.com/
> Subscribe to the Comics Grid Newsletter: http://eepurl.com/iOYAj
>
> The information contained in this email is confidential and may be
> legally privileged. It is intended for the addressee(s) only. If you
> are not the intended recipient, please delete this e-mail.
> The contents of this e-mail must not be forwarded, disclosed or copied
> without the sender's consent. The statements and opinions expressed in
> this message are those of the author and do not necessarily reflect
> those of any related organisations, projects, colleagues or employers.
>

> On 9 August 2017 at 16:28, Alex Gil <colibri.alex at gmail.com
> <mailto:colibri.alex at gmail.com>> wrote:
>
>     Dear Domenico,
>
>     I'm very happy that this project is moving forward. This is indeed
>     a great opportunity to highlight projects in the periphery, and
>     generate fantastic debates. I will help the team personally reach
>     individuals around the world in our networks to make sure they
>     share with their own networks to open opportunities for new and
>     old voices.
>
>     That said, I am concerned about one aspect of the CFP, mainly that
>     the cost of the translation into the "lingua franca" is displaced
>     unto the writers. When we consider that some of the writers who
>     would be excluded traditionally from publication are precisely the
> [...]

Marin Dacos - OpenEdition Director - Open Science Advisor (Ministry of Research)

Directeur d'OpenEdition
Conseiller scientifique pour la science ouverte
auprès du Directeur général de la recherche et de l'innovation au Ministère de l'enseignement supérieur, de la recherche et de l'innovation