[globaloutlookDH-l] CFP: Global Debates in the Digital Humanities

Alex Gil colibri.alex at gmail.com
Fri Aug 11 09:23:18 MDT 2017

Dear all,

Thank you for starting this conversation. I think this is the important
thing, to leave the door open for solutions that can shift the burden away
from the authors. As I said in my original email, I support this project
and will volunteer my labor to help it succeed whenever I can be of use to
the editors.

Ernesto, to answer your first question, yes, I think it is clear that this
is a constraint imposed by the press. I took for granted we understood
that. Although I see a small opportunity for success there in terms of
absorbing the cost, I would not rule it out completely. I think the onus
for a solution, though—if we really want to succeed—lies in the spectrum of
influence from the general editors, to the special volume editors, to us,
the community of folks interested in building intellectual bridges around
our common concerns.

John, I think you misunderstood that the issue was the translations of the
abstracts. Your solution would've made sense for some workflows. Alas,
we're talking about the papers themselves.

Merci, Maran, for these models. I've been superficially looking at these
possibilities since I'm in the middle of the conference with you.

Other possibilities that folks have contributed privately include:
a) Approaching a translation school, and offer this as a project.
b) Assigning someone to coordinate a crowdfunding or crowdsourcing effort,
and give that person equal billing as a co-editor.
c) Using the review period to crowdsource the translation using a new
prototype for review/translation.

I do hope others will contribute to this conversation as a community to
come up with a broad set of possible solutions that can help all of us in
the mid-spectrum weigh the pros-and-cons. Perhaps in a timeline that would
allow for a revision of the CFP.

Best,
a.