[globaloutlookDH-l] CFP: Global Debates in the Digital Humanities

Roopika Risam rrisam at gmail.com
Sat Aug 12 20:51:12 MDT 2017

Hello everyone,

I have appreciated this discussion and share both tremendous respect for the work that Domenico, Sukanta, and Paola are doing and concerns about the translation requirement.

What I have found valuable about this conversation is that it has started a discussion about the intersections of theory and praxis in our scholarly contributions and led to some fascinating ideas for facilitating translation. (An aside: I'm so pleased to see us having conversations that are reminiscent of the ones we had on this list in the early days of GO::DH!)

I am co-editor of one of the upcoming Debates in the Digital Humanities volumes (African diaspora, which brings together scholars from countries in the Américas, Europe, and Africa). Therefore, I have experienced the tension between my own understanding of ethically correct ways of doing this work and translating these needs to the series editors so they can advocate to the publisher.

Since there are multiple layers to negotiate between volume editors, series editors, and publisher, it's a bit difficult for those of us who aren't the volume editors to advocate directly to the series editors and publisher and it seems disrespectful to do so. As we say in the U.S. it feels like "going over heads" of the volume editors. I imagine that is why feedback has been directed to Domenico.

Perhaps the best way to navigate these challenges while reaffirming our support for Domenico, Sukanta, and Paola is to reframe our discussion as an offer of the community's support. Let's *ask* how GO::DH or some of its members might assist with advocacy to the series editors and the publisher or with implementing some of the ideas that have been suggested.

Sincerely,
Roopika
--
Roopika Risam, PhD