[globaloutlookDH-l] CFP: Global Debates in the Digital Humanities

Domenico Fiormonte domenico.fiormonte at gmail.com
Mon Aug 14 07:02:16 MDT 2017

Dear all,

sorry to be slow answering. First of all, I would like to call your
attention on a key aspect of the Global Debates CFP: we will publish all
original papers online! The printed volume will be in English, but the
online version will be multilingual. As far as I know this is one of the
first experiments of this kind not only in the DH field (Marin Dacos
rightly remembered http://net-lang.net/, a remarkable *bilingual* project).
I think we should be grateful to both the series editors and Minnesota UP
for accepting this challenge. As already pointed out by members of this
list, this would be one of the first time that a group of scholars not
based in (or linked to) Anglophone institutions will co-edit a collection
published in the US. In DDH2016 out of around 50 published texts only two
or three were authored by people not based in Anglophone organizations
(i.e. US, UK, Australia). Paola, Sukanta, and I are very grateful to Matt
and Lauren because they wanted to challenge and may be reverse this trend.
Judging for the encouraging public and private messages we got so far it
seems that the non-English DH community is celebrating this event, and we
are all excited about moving the project forward.

But of course as all projects, also the Global Debates volume project has
some limitations, both in terms of resources and scope. Paola, Sukanta and
I have discussed at length the translation problem, and we will be happy to
find alternative and creative solutions for translating accepted papers. If
a prospect author will not have the resources to translate his/her final
text, we’ll try to find a solution with the help of the publisher, the
series editors, and of course everyone in the DH international community.

However, the first step of the process would be to select abstracts, which
can submitted in other languages than English (see the CFP). In conclusion,
we believe the risk of exclusion of accepted papers would be very low, and
the alarm should be watered down. It will be in our responsibility as
editors to ensure that the whole process will be conducted in a fair, equal
and transparent way.

Personally, I agree with Ernesto Priani: solutions to the linguistic and/or
cultural exclusion should be designed preferably *from* the South and *for*
the South. Two years ago we created a South-South dialogue group, and we
started to discuss these issues. Here are some of the ideas we’ve been
discussing, first in Malaga and this year in Rome (
https://epriego.wordpress.com/2017/04/06/digital-humanitieshumanidades-digitalesinformatica-umanistica/
):

http://cshdsur.es/descargas/SOCIAL_SCIENCES_AND_DIGITAL_SOUTH%20HUMANITIES.pdf

One final remark. This thread started from a legitimate concern on language
policies, but honestly I don’t think that monolingualism is the biggest
problem of DH (and in general of science:
http://m.scidev.net/sub-saharan-africa/publishing/news/southern-scholars-missing-development-journals.html):
we all know that the real problem is the supremacy of the Anglophone
epistemological models, structures, organizations that have a direct effect
on the educational models and on the ways of constructing and disseminating
knowledge and research. As you can see from the wide range of CFP topics,
our scope (and hope) is that the contributions to the volume will address
these structural problems.

Saluti a tutt*

Domenico