[globaloutlookDH-l] Foundations for Open Scholarship Strategy

O'Donnell, Dan daniel.odonnell at uleth.ca
Wed Aug 1 08:15:42 MDT 2018

Hi Ernesto (and all),

Barbara, Gurpreet, and I had been discussing raising the issue of governance for the group early in our new academic year (i.e. Sept in Canada). Nothing happens in August in some areas of the academia at least, and so a lot of people don't check their email.

My experience with groups like this is that they don't really need a strong governance to be useful. We are basically a Community of Practice, and they tend to move with the changing interests of the membership regardless of their governing structure.

But as many know, I think there's space for more proactivity as well. We set things up by asking for volunteers to run things from the list. There's no reason we can't do the same again. Our bylaws are very forgiving and where they aren't, well, then we just do new ones.

-dan

[U of Lethbridge Logo]

Daniel Paul O'Donnell

Professor

President, Force11<http://force11.org>

Chief Spokesperson (Bargaining), University of Lethbridge Faculty Association<http://ulfa.ca>

Editor, Digital Studies/Le champ num<http://digitalstudies.org/>érique
<http://digitalstudies.org/>

Department of English<http://www.uleth.ca/artsci/english> and University Library (Centre for the Study of Scholarly Communication<http://www.uleth.ca/research/centres-institutes/centre-study-scholarly-communication>)

University of Lethbridge<http://uleth.ca/>

4401 University Drive West

Tel. +1 (403) 329-2377

http://people.uleth.ca/~daniel.odonnell