[globaloutlookDH-l] Three Great DH Events at Loyola CTSDH this Week!

luctsdh luctsdh at luc.edu
Sat Feb 17 11:57:01 MST 2018

We have three great Digital Humanities events at Loyola hosted by the Center for Textual Studies and Digital Humanities and our university partners this week. Hope you can join us!

Talk: Textual Communities and the Canterbury Tales with Peter Robinson
Monday February 19, 6:00pm    Mundelein Hall, Room 515

This talk by Peter Robinson will introduce the new Textual Communities system for online collaborative editing, and illustrate its use with examples from the Canterbury Tales Project. Textual Communities is now in pre-release "sandbox" mode, and you are invited to try out the new system. The talk will discuss what earlier stages of the Canterbury Tales Project were able to discover using earlier systems, and how this new system might enable this project (and others) to achieve more.

Peter Robinson is Bateman Professor of English at the University of Saskatchewan. He is active in the creation of tools for scholarly editing, the development of standards for digital resources, formerly as a member of the Text Encoding Initiative and as leader of the EU funded MASTER project, and has published on Chaucer, scholarly editing, and the digital humanities.

For more information, please contact Prof. Paul Eggert (peggert at luc.edu<mailto:peggert at luc.edu>).

Lunchtime Lecture: Fair Use in Teaching and Research
Wednesday, Feb. 21 | 12:30 - 1:30PM | CTSDH Loyola Hall, 3rd Floor

Get ready for Fair Use Week (February 26-March 2, 2018) with a guided discussion with Niamh McGuigan and Margaret Heller about what fair use really means and tips for telling if your intended use is allowed. Get some ideas about how to use fair use in teaching and research, and share your own experiences with your colleagues. We will focus on digital projects, but all types of research are welcome.

Please RSVP to Kyle Roberts (kroberts2 at luc.edu<mailto:kroberts2 at luc.edu>) and let us know if you have any dietary restrictions.

Day Conference: Fair Use in Teaching and Research
Friday, Feb. 23 | 9 AM - 4 PM | Information Commons, 4th Floor

We are only a week away from Loyola University Chicago's "Digital Accessibility: Assessing, Amending, and Advancing Digital Content for All" conference. Join us in the Klarchek Information Commons<https://www.luc.edu/ic/about.shtml> building on Loyola University Chicago's Lakeshore Campus (6501 N. Kenmore Ave, Chicago, IL 60660<https://www.google.com/maps/place/6501+N+Kenmore+Ave,+Chicago,+IL+60660/@42.0001978,-87.6582804,17z/data=!3m1!4b1!4m5!3m4!1s0x880fd10988ae4b79:0x654f76ec5d08604a!8m2!3d42.0001978!4d-87.6560917>) for this February 23rd event from 9am until 4pm. You can now check out a full schedule of the day's events on our conference website<https://lucdigia11y.wordpress.com/event-schedule/>.

Space is limited! Please REGISTER SOON via our brief google registration form<https://docs.google.com/forms/d/e/1FAIpQLSeRc_5gWCqyGEc4HRhylR4_7idKWhV7jQfkJrsGVK4BwZCHew/viewform>! The conference is free to attend, but early registration is requested and appreciated.

General questions and concerns should be directed to conference organizers Rebecca Parker (rparker3 at luc.edu<mailto:rparker3 at luc.edu>) and Tyler Monaghan (tmonaghan at luc.edu<mailto:tmonaghan at luc.edu>). Questions specific to lodging and travel can be directed to the planning committee head, Abdur Khan (akhan57 at luc.edu<mailto:akhan57 at luc.edu>).

Announcements will be made available on the conference program website and Loyola's Center for Textual Studies and Digital Humanities Facebook event page<https://www.facebook.com/events/1979705112243644/>! Be sure to tweet @LUCTSDH with the conference hashtag #LUCdigiA11y and join in on this important conversation regarding digital accessibility leading up to, during, and after the conference.

Thank you and we hope to see you next Friday!

Rebecca Parker and Tyler Monaghan
Conference Organizers?