[globaloutlookDH-l] Science and Technology Studies in Africa 2018

Alex Gil colibri.alex at gmail.com
Mon Jan 22 07:20:45 MST 2018

Hi all,

In case you haven't seen this CFP. Might be of interest to some of you.

a.

*From: *"Pollock, Anne" <apollock at gatech.edu>
*Subject: **FW: CFP - STS Africa Workshop - 4S Sydney*
*Date: *January 10, 2018 at 7:52:10 PM EST
*To: *"Klein, Lauren F" <lauren.klein at lmc.gatech.edu>

Hi Lauren – Nice to see you today, even briefly!  Please do pass along this
CFP to folks from your networks who might be interested – thanks!  --Anne

**** Please submit and help spread the word to others in your networks! ****

*STS Africa 2018: An NSF-sponsored pre-4S Workshop on STS on/in
AfricaSydney, Australia – August 27-29, 2018*

Organizers: Dr. Tolu Odumosu (University of Virginia); Dr. Anne Pollock
(Georgia Tech)

This Workshop seeks to explore the question “What are the boundaries of
Science and Technology in Africa and how should we recognize and address
both the uniqueness of African knowledge production and innovation on the
one hand, and the potential that STS work in Africa has to offer to the
field as a whole on the other?” We hope to answer these questions by
working across the three domains of information technology, medicine, and
the environment as they relate to Africa.

As this is event is sponsored by the U.S. National Science Foundation
(NSF), and we are seeking additional support from other funding bodies,
funds will be available to offset travel and accommodation expenses.  We
anticipate being able to fully fund all travel expenses for participants
coming from the African continent, and to be able to significantly defray
the travel expenses for all participants.

We anticipate an intimate gathering of 24 participants, including at least
12 Africans (including at least 6 who are based at institutions in
Africa).  The Workshop will be held in coordination with the Society for
Social Studies of Science 4S-Sydney meeting.  The pre-4S events will be
held at the University of Sydney, and will feature a keynote panel of
prominent scholars on the topic of challenges and opportunities of doing
STS work in Africa, roundtables on publishing at funding with guests from
presses, journals, and funding institutions, and meals that will provide
opportunities for networking and community-building.  On the first day of
4S, incorporated into the program of 4S proper, there will be a Closed
Panel featuring stream of panels in response to an open CFP:
http://stsafrica2018.com/.

*We seek submissions of abstracts in the following three areas:*

*Panel 1: Information Technology* – In contemporary Africa, the music of
modernity is the ring of the mobile phone. An Information Technology
revolution has swept the continent especially with the adoption of the
mobile phone, and in later years, the mobile internet. Multiple African STS
scholars have examined the mobile phone as a particular information
technology that is co-constituted with Africa (de Bruijn, Nyamnjoh, and
Brinkman 2009; Zegeye and Muponde 2012, Odumosu 2017). For example, de
Bruji, Nyamnjoh, and Brinkman examine emergent innovations and new
practices around mobile telephony such as healing practices (van Beek
2009), engineering design (Odumosu 2017) and mobile money platforms
(Donovan 2012).  We seek submissions that contribute to our understanding
of information technology in Africa, in ways that might intersect with or
depart from the other topical areas below.

*Panel 2: Biomedicine* – Similarly, much STS of Biomedicine in Africa has
been in dialogue with Critical Global Health.  Clinical trials have been a
particularly important site for consideration of power and knowledge (Crane
2013, Kelly and Geissler 2012).  In both the study of pharmaceuticals and
the study of toxicology, Africa has also been part of the broader
interrogation in STS of the tension in science between its claims to
universality and its practice in particular places, because lab-based
biosciences are figured as the most placeless and prestigious, and African
scientists have challenged their exclusion (Okeke 2011, Pollock 2014,
Tousignant 2013).  There has been important work challenging the figuration
of Africa as lack (Mkhwanazi 2016).  We seek submissions that contribute to
our understanding of biomedical technologies in Africa.

*Panel 3: Environment* – The Environment is also central to how Africa is
invoked.  Africa is often used as a symbol of wildness on the one hand and
underdevelopment on the other, and there is considerable scholarship of the
intersections nature and development there (Walley 2004) that has much to
offer STS more broadly. There has already been productive cross-talk
between the spheres of Biomedicine and Environment.  This is partly because
of the way that, for colonial science, understanding the natural world in
Africa was intertwined with other imperial projects including extracting
natural resources of potential benefit to health (Tilley 2011).  In the
disparate spheres of bioprospecting and natural therapies on the one hand
(Osseo-Asare 2014, Droney 2016, Foster 2017) and mosquito control on the
other (Kelly and Biesel 2011), nature and medicine necessarily come
together. We seek submissions that contribute to our understanding of the
environment in Africa.
*Provisional Workshop Schedule*

*Monday, August 27, 2018*
*Welcome, Introductions - Tolu Odumosu, Anne Pollock, all participants* -
5pm

   - Organizers welcome participants, explain logistics
   - Icebreakers
   - Each participant presents one slide about themselves and presents it
   for 90 seconds

*Welcome to Australia * -  6pm
Helen Verran is a historian and philosopher of science at Charles Darwin
University in Darwin, Northern Territories, Australia.  She has expertise
on both Africa and indigenous Australia, as exemplified by her books *Science
and an African Logic* and *Singing the Land, Signing the Land*, and so is
well-situated to provide introductory welcoming remarks.  She has expressed
enthusiasm about participating, pending scheduling.
*Networking Dinner - *6:30pm

*Tuesday, August 28, 2018*

*Roundtable on funding - 10am*
Funding challenges have been one of the significant barriers to doing STS
work on and in Africa.  This Roundtable invites representatives from key
funding agencies to help Workshop participants understand mechanisms by
which this work might be supported.  So far, we have spoken with Wenda
Bauchspies from the National Science Foundation, who has expressed her
interest.  We are reaching out to representatives from such funders as the
European Research Council, the Economic and Social Research Council, and
the Wellcome Trust.
*Roundtable on publishing - 11:30am*
Publishing venues are also important for increasing the profile and
visibility of STS work on and in Africa.  This Roundtable invites
representatives from key publishing venues to help Workshop Participants
understand how to navigate these publishing venues.
Interested in participating in principle:

   - Sergio Sismondo, Editor of *Social Studies of Science*
   - Katie Helke, MIT Press
   - Khadija Coxon, McGill-Queens University Press

*1pm - lunch with Program Officers/Publishers/Workshop attendees*

*Keynote Panel on Challenges and Promise of STS Work in Africa - 3pm*
Confirmed panelists:

   - Clapperton Mavhunga is an Associate Professor of Science, Technology
   and Society at the Massachusetts Institute of Technology whose research
   explores knowledge production and innovation in Africa. He is the
author of*Transient
   Workspaces: Technologies of Everyday Innovation in Zimbabwe* (MIT Press,
   2014). He is a major thought leader in this space, for example as editor of
   the collection, published by MIT Press in 2017, *What Do Science,
   Technology, and Innovation Mean from Africa?*
   - Tunde Opeibi is a Commonwealth Fellow and a Alexander von Humboldt
   Fellow who currently serves as an Associate Professor in the Department of
   English at the University of Lagos Nigeria. His research is on new media
   and governance. He is the author of Discourse Strategies in Political
   Campaigns in Nigeria (Lambert 2011 ). He is leading the embrace of
   Information Technology in the Nigerian Humanities and Social Science
   Academy and recently organized the 2017 Lagos Summer School in Digital
   Humanities.
   - Natasha Vally is a Next Generation Scholar Fellow at the Centre for
   Humanities Research at the University of the Western Cape in South Africa.
   She is an emerging leader in this space, both in her own research on the
   technopolitics of post-apartheid South Africa and as part of the organizing
   team of the first STS-Africa conference, held at the University of the
   Witwatersrand in 2014.

   - Abena Osseo-Asare is an Associate Professor of History at the
   University of Texas at Austin. She is the author of the
award-winning *Bitter
   Roots: The Search for Healing Plants in Africa* (University of Chicago
   Press, 2014), which is a study of six plants which scientists in Ghana,
   South Africa, Madagascar and other countries sought to transform into new
   pharmaceuticals.

*5:30 - Drinks*

*6pm - Collaborative Conversations Dinner*

*Submissions in response to CFP - Held during 4S on Wednesday from 11am*
Because part of our goal is to find people working in this space who we do
not already know, it is important to circulate a call for papers. We plan
to organize submissions in response to the CFP into three panels, organized
into a single stream so that all participants hear them, with the with the
topical foci of (1) biomedicine (2) information technology (3) environment.
*Panel on Biomedicine *~11am
*Panel on Information Technology *~2pm
*Panel on Environment *~4pm

*Optional Post-4S meal for potential 4S-Africa organizers*
Saturday, Sept 1, 2018
Having experienced 4S-Sydney, those interested in organizing potential
future events, potentially included a 4S in Africa for 2022, will meet over
dinner to discuss possibilities.

Updates will be posted here: http://stsafrica2018.com/