[globaloutlookDH-l] Two Events and a Deadline Reminder from the CTSDH at Loyola Chicago

luctsdh luctsdh at luc.edu
Tue Jan 23 07:00:59 MST 2018

Innovative Student Projects Highlighted in Lightning Round Presentation on Thursday, January 25th

Join us for a lightning round presentation of digital projects by Loyola students on Thursday, January 25th at 4 pm in the CTSDH. We will showcase engaging work from a range of disciplines that will inspire you with the possibilities (and the productive challenges) of working digitally. Each participant will present for 5 minutes followed by 5 minutes of questions. Speakers include:

* Taylor Brown (Digital Humanities), Mapping Inhumanity

* Cat Litten (Computer Science), CincoGatos

* Rebecca Parker (Digital Humanities), Finally in Chicago: Next Steps to Restoring Nell Nelson

* Karen Sieber (History), The Well Read President: Examining the Reading Habits of Theodore Roosevelt

* Liz Sink (Computer Science), PocketVote

Descriptions of each talk can be found on the CTSDH website (https://luc.edu/ctsdh/stories/archive/lightninground.shtml) .

Pizza will be served. Open to all.

Lunchtime Lecture: "The Spirit of Notetaking: Traditional Research and Writing Strategies for the 21st Century" on Thursday, February 1st

Join us for the first Lunchtime Lecture of the Spring 2018 semester on Thursday, February 1st, 12:30-1:30 pm in the CTSDH Loyola Hall, 3rd Floor. Do the old ways of researching and writing work still work in the digital age? George Thiruvathukal (Professor of Computer Science) and David Dennis (Professor of History) will share their thoughts on the important topic coming out of their recent work creating ZettelGeist (https://luc.edu/ctsdh/researchprojects/zettelgeist/) , a plaintext note-taking system, inspired by the ZettelKasten Method (https://zettelkasten.de/posts/zettelkasten-improves-thinking-writing/), which supports the familiar tried-and-true method of organizing research using a card index.

This is a great chance to learn about a promising new tool in development.

February 1st Deadline for Fellowship Support for 2018-19

Earn your Master's degree in Digital Humanities at one of the nation's oldest and most respected graduate programs. Learn first-hand the ways in which computational technologies are transforming how we ask - and seek to answer -- age-old humanistic questions. Gain a theoretical understanding of how technology shapes our lived experience while developing a practical knowledge for your chosen profession. Apply by February 1st to be considered for fellowship support. Learn more.<https://luc.edu/media/lucedu/ctsdh/documents/MA-Digital_Humanities-Flyer_FINAL.pdf>

Interested in learning more about our graduate program? Click here<https://luc.hosted.panopto.com/Panopto/Pages/Viewer.aspx?id=e460dff8-1415-4e03-9c36-3edc46113c23> to see a recording of our last online info session!

All events are free and open to the public. Questions or to RSVP: Please email Dr. Kyle Roberts (kroberts2 at luc.edu).