[globaloutlookDH-l] International Summer School on Digital Art History: Data-Driven Analysis and Digital Narratives (DAHSS18)

Nuria Rodríguez Ortega nro at uma.es
Wed May 30 02:51:04 MDT 2018

Dear colleagues,

We are pleased to announce that the International Summer School on
Digital Art History (DAHSS), a joint initiative of the University of
Málaga and the University of Berkeley, will celebrate the third edition
from September 3 to 8 (2018) in Málaga (Spain).

The application period is now open (until June 21). Please, visit:
http://historiadelartemalaga.uma.es/dahss18/en/applications/

Intended audience: postgraduate students, academic researchers,
independent scholars and professionals related to the following
disciplines: Art History and Visual Studies, Fine Arts, Graphic Design,
Computer Sciences, Media and New Media Studies and Museum Studies.

The course has a theoretical-practical orientation: theoretical exchange
and critical discussions will be combined with practical sessions
(lab-based sessions) through which participants will work
collaboratively in common projects.

The course is organized around three tracks.

Track A: Data and the Arts: In Track A, lead by Greg Niemeyer (UC
Berkeley), you will explore what role data can play in the arts from the
ancient Nilometer to current circulation data and machine vision but
also addressing artwork that deals explicitly with the cultural deficit
around data and machine learning. You will learn how to collect data
with sensors, how to manipulate that data, and how to present it in
interactive ways online. No coding experience required, we will teach
and use javascript and p5.js for our weeklong projects, and you will go
home with a completed project online.

Track B: Data Analysis: What is the story of art that data tells us? How
can data analysis create new views on the history of art? What is the
meaning of a pixel?  In this track B, lead by Harald Klinke (LMU
Munich), you will learn the basics of data acquisition, scripting and
visualization in order to gain knowledge and experience necessary for
pursuing a data-driven Art History (data literacy).  No prior knowledge
necessary, bring your own laptop.

Track C: 3D Modeling. This track, lead by Justin Underhill (UCB), will
explore interactive media using the Unity game engine.  We will
experiment with different ways of exploring virtual space, and will see
how we might use augmented and virtual reality to practice Digital Art
History.  We will also ask ourselves how to best design visualizations
and historical reconstructions for these environments.

The program will include a specific session to discuss the challenges of
publishing in Digital Art History, especially publishing data along with
research papers.

For more information, please visit:
http://historiadelartemalaga.uma.es/dahss18/en/

The iArtHis_Lab research team (www.iarthislab.es)

--
Nuria Rodríguez Ortega
Directora Dpto. Historia del Arte

Professor and Chair of the Art History Department
University of Málaga (Spain)
Facultad de Filosofía y Letras
Campus de Teatinos, s/n
Málaga, 29071 (Spain)
Phone: 00 34 952132223 / 952131690 (admin.)
Fax: 00 34 952133441