[globaloutlookDH-l] Reminder: Global Digital Humanities Symposium CFP - Deadline to apply Nov 15

Mapes, Kristen kmapes at msu.edu
Mon Oct 29 12:02:28 MDT 2018

Dear colleagues,

We welcome proposals from around the world for the 4th annual Global DH Symposium at Michigan State University. This year we have incorporated an option to present virtually. While most of the presentations at this event will be in person presentations, we wanted to ensure there were a few spots available to people unable to present in person or for whom traveling to the US would pose a risk. Additionally, we are continuing our policy of providing travel funding to speakers who request it, and we hope to be ever more effective at making the Symposium truly global. Please spread the word, and do message me with any questions!

Sincerely,

Kristen Mapes

Global Digital Humanities Symposium

March 21-22, 2019

MSU, Main Library, Green Room

msuglobaldh.org<https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=http-3A__www.msuglobaldh.org_&d=DwMGaQ&c=nE__W8dFE-shTxStwXtp0A&r=oeF_vnMT4TjEDC5EOBnGug&m=MHHeGjw9ZrKeMcbTKbIKBFBKyP5Z-g5GDfXr0sya9a0&s=PNvy4xtWzV6CR8ASx5oUe75w8jRP98ICYs6-OuM_D0I&e=>

Call for Proposals

Deadline: November 15

Proposal form<https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=https-3A__docs.google.com_forms_d_e_1FAIpQLSd8WhgGPBMvMhni-2Duv80BGNI1cVFW2GatYyjY7tRJNpTzWENw_viewform&d=DwMGaQ&c=nE__W8dFE-shTxStwXtp0A&r=oeF_vnMT4TjEDC5EOBnGug&m=MHHeGjw9ZrKeMcbTKbIKBFBKyP5Z-g5GDfXr0sya9a0&s=KljvcFeLZviyY7wSKudKljzhovM7PqTShb2CNgVSn4s&e=>

Digital Humanities at Michigan State University is proud to extend its symposium series on Global DH into its fourth year. Digital humanities scholarship continues to be driven by work at the intersections of a range of distinct disciplines and an ethical commitment to preserve and broaden access to cultural materials.

Focused on these issues of social justice, we invite work at the intersections of critical DH; race and ethnicity; feminism, intersectionality, and gender; and anti-colonial and postcolonial frameworks to participate.

Given the growth of these fields within the digital humanities, particularly in under-resourced and underrepresented areas, a number of complex issues surface, including, among others, questions of ownership, cultural theft, virtual exploitation, digital rights, endangered data<https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=http-3A__endangereddataweek.org_&d=DwMGaQ&c=nE__W8dFE-shTxStwXtp0A&r=oeF_vnMT4TjEDC5EOBnGug&m=MHHeGjw9ZrKeMcbTKbIKBFBKyP5Z-g5GDfXr0sya9a0&s=9y9pe2vtBw0_VnTEDBRN70xFcmMcH2IvvmvTwzMioWA&e=>, and the digital divide. DH communities have raised and responded to these issues, pushing the field forward. We view the 2019 symposium as an opportunity to broaden the conversation about these issues. Scholarship that works across borders with foci on transnational partnerships and globally accessible data is especially welcome. Additionally, we define the term "humanities" rather broadly to incorporate the discussion of issues that encourage interdisciplinary understanding of the humanities.

This symposium, which will include a mixture of presentation types, welcomes 300-word proposals related to any of these issues, and particularly on the following themes and topics by Thursday, November 15, 11:59pm EST:

  *   Critical cultural studies and analytics
  *   Cultural heritage in a range of contexts
  *   DH as socially engaged humanities and/or as a social movement
  *   Open data, open access, and data preservation as resistance, especially in a postcolonial context
  *   DH responses to crisis
  *   How identity categories, and their intersections, shape digital humanities work
  *   Global research dialogues and collaborations
  *   Indigeneity – anywhere in the world – and the digital
  *   Digital humanities, postcolonialism, and neocolonialism
  *   Global digital pedagogies
  *   Borders, migration, and/or diaspora and their connection to the digital
  *   Digital and global languages and literatures
  *   The state of global digital humanities community
  *   Digital humanities, the environment, and climate change
  *   Innovative and emergent technologies across institutions, languages, and economies
  *   Scholarly communication and knowledge production in a global context
  *   Surveillance and/or data privacy issues in a global context

Presentation Formats:

  *   5-minute lightning talk
  *   15-minute presentation
  *   90-minute workshop
  *   90-minute panel
  *   There will be a limited number of slots available for 15-minute virtual presentations

Please note that we conduct a double-blind review process, so please refrain from identifying your institution or identity in your proposal.

Notifications of acceptance will be given by December 22, 2018

Kristen Mapes
Assistant Director of Digital Humanities, College of Arts & Letters
Michigan State University
479 West Circle Drive, Linton Hall 308
East Lansing MI 48824
517-884-1712