[globaloutlookDH-l] CFP is live for ACH 2019

Vika Zafrin vzafrin at bu.edu
Tue Sep 11 10:24:29 MDT 2018

Dear colleagues,

The CFP is live
<http://ach2019.ach.org/cfp/cfp-call-for-participation-en/> for the
inaugural ACH (Association for Computers and the Humanities) conference,
taking place in Pittsburgh next July. We thought this might be of
interest to people on this list, and as possible, I hope you will
consider attending. Please re-distribute as appropriate.

Thank you,
-Vika

*Call for Proposals: Association for Computers and the Humanities 2019*

Spanish <http://ach2019.ach.org/cfp/cfp-call-for-participation-es> |
French <http://ach2019.ach.org/cfp/cfp-call-for-participation-fr/>

Deadline: November 10, 2018
Submit a proposal: https://www.conftool.org/ach2019

The inaugural Association for Computers and the Humanities (ACH)
conference will take place in Pittsburgh, PA, July 23-26, 2019 at the
Pittsburgh Marriott City Center.

*Conference Description
****
*ACH is the United States-based constituent organization in the Alliance
for Digital Humanities Organizations (ADHO). The ACH 2019 conference, in
partnership with Keystone DH, provides a forum for conversations on an
expansive definition of digital humanities in a broad array of subject
areas, methods, and communities of practice.

ACH recognizes that this work is inherently and inextricably
sociopolitical, and thus additionally, but not exclusively, welcomes
scholarship that emphasizes social justice through the use of computers
and related technologies in the study of humanistic subjects.

Areas of engagement include but are not limited to:

  * Computational and digital approaches to research and pedagogy;
  * Digital media, art, literature, history, music, film, and games;
  * Digital librarianship;
  * Digital humanities tools and infrastructures;
  * Humanistic research on digital objects and cultures;
  * Knowledge infrastructures;
  * Physical computing;
  * Resource creation, curation, and engagement;
  * Use of digital technologies to write, publish, and review scholarship.

We particularly invite proposals on anti-racist, queer, postcolonial and
decolonial, indigenous, Black studies, cultural and critical ethnic
studies, and intersectional feminist interventions in digital studies.

As an organization committed to cross-disciplinary engagement, we
welcome interdisciplinary proposals. We also are especially interested
in receiving proposals from participants with a range of expertise and
from a variety of roles, including alt-ac positions, employment outside
of higher education, and graduate students. We further invite proposals
from participants who are newcomers to digital humanities.

*Conference Proposals*

We encourage those proposing sessions to consider formats beyond the
traditional 20-minute paper panels, such as roundtables, multi-speaker
panels, digital posters, lightning talks, installations, and
performances. When proposing a session, we ask that you describe your
session type and indicate a preferred time length for the session.
Suggestions are below, but we encourage proposers to move beyond them
and to think creatively about other possibilities.

Proposals should be between 250-500 words in length and should describe
the proposed topic, requested time length, participants, and audience
for the session, and should include five keywords. We suggest 250-word
proposals for individual submissions and 500-word proposals for
multi-speaker submissions. While proposals should be clearly linked to
existing scholarly debates, formal citations are not required except for
direct quotation. Submissions will be evaluated using double-blind peer
review, so please omit identifying information, including author name
and affiliation, in the proposal.

While our CFP has been released in English, Spanish, and French, we
welcome proposals for contributions in other languages. Proposals will
be reviewed in the language of submission. Regardless of the language of
your proposal, please ensure that your five keywords are in English to
facilitate program scheduling.

Proposals will be submitted using ConfTool:
https://www.conftool.org/ach2019. Please create a new account to submit
your proposal.

Please note that for the purposes of scheduling, we may suggest an
alternative length or collaboration between related proposals. While
there is no limit on number of submissions, the committee will not
normally schedule more than two presentations from one primary author.

*Suggested Proposal Types and Duration*

The proposal types and durations below are suggestions. We eagerly
welcome alternatives.

/Workshops/ (3 hours to full-day): In-depth hands-on sessions led by
presenters with expertise, technical or otherwise, in an emerging topic
or methodology of broad interest to the ACH community.

/Panels/ (1 hour): Engaging sessions that facilitate dialogue between
panelists and across panel and audience, highlighting connections
between projects, methods, or themes.

/Papers/ (10-20 minutes): Dynamic presentations that share experiments,
works in progress, or sustained reflections and outcomes of more
complete projects while engaging a range of participants and fostering
connections and dialogue.

/Roundtables/ (1 hour): Sessions for which speakers provide brief
interventions or framing on a set of issues, keywords, methods, and/or
themes, followed by open discussion among speakers and the audience.

/Lightning Talks/ (5 minutes): Highly-focused presentations that
succinctly introduce a topic, method, tool, project, or work-in-progress
to catalyze ideas and foster follow-up discussion.

/Posters/ (poster session): Poster proposals present work on any
relevant topic or offer project tool, and software demonstrations in any
stage of development.

/Installations and Performances/ (1 hour to ongoing throughout
conference): Art work, creative data visualizations, performances,
demonstrations, and other critical interventions that engage conference
issues, methods and themes.

*Proposal Review and Notification *

ACH 2019 submissions will undergo double-blind peer review. Please
remove all identifying information from your proposal submission
including author name and affiliation. Presenters will be notified of
acceptance by February 18, 2019.

*Code of Conduct
**
*ACH is dedicated to creating a safe, respectful, and collegial
conference environment for the benefit of everyone who attends and for
the advancement of research and scholarship in fields supported by ACH.
The ACH 2019 conference will be governed by the ADHO Conference Code of
Conduct
(http://adho.org/administration/conference-coordinating-program-committee/adho-conference-code-conduct).
Please review the Code of Conduct and indicate your willingness to
observe it when signing up for your ConfTool account.

*Accessibility
**
*ACH strives to ensure that the conference is accessible for all
participants. We will provide guidelines for accessibility of sessions
to all accepted participants. Gender-neutral bathrooms will be available
for attendees, and we are working to secure a lactation room and
childcare services. More information, along with a request for
information about participant needs, will be circulated in early 2019.

*Travel and Accommodations
**
*ACH 2019 will take place at the Pittsburgh Marriott City Center,
located in downtown Pittsburgh. We are working to secure dormitory
housing for the conference as well. The closest airport is Pittsburgh
International Airport. *
**
**Contact Information
**
*For questions and concerns about the CFP, conference program,
submissions, Code of Conduct, or accessibility, please contact the
program committee co-chairs: Roopika Risam (rrisam at salemstate.edu
<mailto:rrisam at salemstate.edu>)and Patrick Juola (juola at mathcs.duq.edu
<mailto:juola at mathcs.duq.edu>).

If you are interested in translating this call for proposals into
Portuguese, German, Italian, or another language, please contact the
co-chairs.

*Program Committee
*
Co-chair: Roopika Risam, Salem State University
Co-chair: Patrick Juola, Duquesne University
Emily Esten, Kennedy Institute
Sylvia Fernández, University of Houston
Heather Froehlich, Penn State University
Anna Kijas, Boston College
Nabil Kashyap, Swarthmore College
Thomas Padilla, UNLV

*Steering Committee
**
*Kathleen Fitzpatrick, Michigan State University*
*Matthew K. Gold, CUNY Graduate Center*
*Jennifer Guiliano, IUPUI
Patrick Juola, Duquesne University
Alison Langmead, University of Pittsburgh
Jessica Otis, George Mason University
Gesina Phillips, Duquesne University
Roopika Risam, Salem State University
Scott B. Weingart, Carnegie Mellon University*
*

--
Dr. Vika Zafrin
Digital Scholarship Librarian